Saturday, January 30, 2016

Blue Rainbow

I decided to try to keep up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year -- I think it's been 2 years since I last did -- and talked myself into buying Vicki Welsh's set of hand-dyed fabrics to go along with the challenge...  That's not really scrappy, I guess, but I might manage to make some scrappy stuff, too.

And, I decided to use the hand-dyes to make a rainbow version of Fancy Forest, a pattern from Elizabeth Hartman.  Her patterns are so well written!

Well -- they're well-written as long as you read them and follow the instructions.

I cut out pieces for 3 different blocks and sat down to sew a hedgehog...  and made every possible mistake.  I sewed diagonal seams the wrong way for all the spines... Fixed those.  Then I sewed the face together completely wrong.  And since I had already trimmed one of the diagonal seams I had to cut all the face pieces over again.  Grrr.

Took a little break and tried again.  Double-check everything before sewing.  Check it again before trimming the diagonals. And now I have a hedgehog and a coordinating thistle for this blue month.



Saturday, January 23, 2016

alive and well...

But really falling out of the blogging habit... 

I figured the least I could do -- and it may end up mostly being a way to keep track of things for myself -- is to post photos of finished projects.

Right now, much to my surprise, I have 3 babies needing quilts.  One showed up a few weeks early, but the others are still to come.  I decided to quilt up some of the many tops I've stacked up (to create room for more) and here are the first two.

This one was my first real foray into solids; it's a pattern called "Dash in the Box" by A Quilter's Dream.  I hated making it --  the fabrics (mostly Kona Cottons, as I recall) were really shreddy and it seemed to be impossible to get anything sewn in a straight line.  You will see it the boxes are definitely wonky... but I've ended up liking the finished quilt.

The second one is a made-up pattern that used up a little packet of batik squares I'd had forever -- they have dragonflies on them.  The color in this photo is a bit bluer than reality.
 This is better color -- a close-up of one block.
I'm hoping for lots more to come soon -- more quilts as well as some knitting projects that will be gifted in February.