Saturday, January 30, 2016

Blue Rainbow

I decided to try to keep up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year -- I think it's been 2 years since I last did -- and talked myself into buying Vicki Welsh's set of hand-dyed fabrics to go along with the challenge...  That's not really scrappy, I guess, but I might manage to make some scrappy stuff, too.

And, I decided to use the hand-dyes to make a rainbow version of Fancy Forest, a pattern from Elizabeth Hartman.  Her patterns are so well written!

Well -- they're well-written as long as you read them and follow the instructions.

I cut out pieces for 3 different blocks and sat down to sew a hedgehog...  and made every possible mistake.  I sewed diagonal seams the wrong way for all the spines... Fixed those.  Then I sewed the face together completely wrong.  And since I had already trimmed one of the diagonal seams I had to cut all the face pieces over again.  Grrr.

Took a little break and tried again.  Double-check everything before sewing.  Check it again before trimming the diagonals. And now I have a hedgehog and a coordinating thistle for this blue month.



10 comments:

PeggyinNO said...

What a cute hedgehog! looks like you have the directions down pat now!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I almost made one of those a couple of weeks ago. So CUTE!!!

Edith said...

Such a cute hedgehog and a lovely thistle. Nice blocks.

Mystic Quilter said...

These two are just wonderful - I have loved hedgehogs since I was a girl. I must have a look at her patterns!

tubakk said...

Such a sweet little blue hedgehog. I have two of them living in my garden. They are not blue of course, not as I've seen them at least. I love Elizabeth's patterns too.

scraphappy said...

Beautiful block. Paper piecing can make you scratch your head, but think of how hard the block would have been without it.

Libby in TN said...

Hedgehogs are so irresistible! Proud of you for sticking with it.

Jennifer said...

what a great idea for RSC! love the little hedgie and the thistle.

gayle said...

Oh, I sympathize - I too have had those kind of days where you wonder why you even bother to set the seam ripper down...
Lovely blocks when all was said and done, though!

Sally T said...

I always figure that as long as I'm using my sewing machine more than my seam ripper, I'm ahead of the game. The RSC is a blast so welcome to the party!