Saturday, June 14, 2014

2 graduates, 2 quilts

In keeping with my tradition that all my real and imaginary nieces and nephews get a quilt when they finish high-school -- I have two finishes to report.

First is for a "real" nephew -- this quilt has been mostly done for quite a while, but the binding just got added last month and the label went on yesterday.  It was made with him in mind, since for a while he was thinking about the air force (he already has his pilot's license).  I named it "Wild Blue Yonder" and it was quilted by Margaret Gunn.

For the second graduate, I was planning to give the wonky trees quilt that I've shown before, but after having it quilted I decided it was a little too whimsical for this young man... so I pulled out a sampler top made from Friday Block Party blocks and did a quick, minimalist spiral quilting job on it. Bound, washed & labeled, and will be gifted this evening!

One more finish, for me -- another pair of socks, made from Miss Babs in her "Perfectly Wreckless" colorway. I tried the "fish lips kiss" heel for the first time; I'm not sure if I like it yet, because it's been way too hot for wool socks here lately.

 

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

The first gift quilt I ever made was a graduation quilt and I've kept up the tradition. I'm putting the last stitches in my niece's quilt today..... if I get off the Internet!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

I like all the blues and bit of red in your Wild Blue Yonder quilt ... just right for a young man starting out his journey in life. :-)

Kate North said...

Wild Blue Yonder looks like Oh My Stars! Am I right? If so, I'm shocked, as it means I actually finished a BOM quilt before someone else for once! (BTW, it looks great...)