Tuesday, May 27, 2014

scrappy retreat

I took my box of 2 1/2" squares and a big bag stuffed full of 2 1/2" strips up to the foothills for a little quilt retreat with a couple of friends this week. (and a couple of other projects, too...)  We're staying in Arnold, which is a pretty sleepy town now that Memorial Day has passed.

My first order of business was the strips -- this is the "Crayon Box" pattern from Bonnie Hunter's wonderful site. It measures about 48" x 60" right now and will get a border or two once I'm home with my stash.  It used up almost all of my strips!

One of my "real" projects is the "Red Centre" pattern from Kathy Dougherty's book Making Quilts. I had cut the strips ahead of time, and it is going together really quickly -- the print fabrics are all Kaffe Fassett and friends.

 Somewhere around this point I used up the last of a big cone of Aurifil thread -- time for chocolate!

Today, in between sewing the other quilt together, I'm attacking the box of squares, which I've sorted by color now.  I'm going to do a version of "Growing Up Odd" which I found as a tutorial at Wedding Dress Blue.  I'm starting with larger squares, and each of the units will be monochromatic.

 My friend Catherine has been rotating between components of several projects, but this is the beginning of a Burgoyne Surrounded wallhanging that's on the design-batting this morning. I love red and white quilts...

And Kathleen was only able to stay for a couple of days, but look at what she accomplished!  (She did have almost all the pieces cut ahead of time)  This is a variation of "Soul Searching", also from Kathy Dougherty's book linked above.  She hung it from the balcony early this morning for photos.

 
Finally, lest you think we're all quilt and no play -- we did a hike in Calaveras Big Trees State Park yesterday and I had to do a selfie under one of the big trees! (Catherine, Kathleen, and me)

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilts, especially Soul Searching! Picture of Crayon Box makes me want to make another. Love Bonnie Hunter patterns.
Looks like the retreat was a success. Beautiful location : )