Tuesday, May 20, 2014

scrap overflow

If you had a large shoebox crammed full of 2-1/2" square scraps (not to mention a rather large pile of 2-1/2" strips of various lengths up to about 18") -- what would you make from them?

(There's no way I want to sort through everything to see what multiples I might have of particular fabrics)

I have made a couple of postage-stamp style quilts in the past (small ones) and I've thought about just making random 36-patch units until I can't stand it anymore and there's enough for a quilt!  But I'm hoping my crafty readers might have some more creative ideas...

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Bonnie Hunter has a free quilt pattern on her website called, Crayon Box, that uses those sizes. Most excellent pattern for a nice scrap quilt to keep, gift or donate.

Caroline said...

D4 patch or D9 patch. It would be VERY scrappy. Good Luck!

imquilternity said...

That's a tough one... but one thought is that you could make mug rugs, fabric baskets, tote bags, little zipper pouches, or a "scrap vomit" quilt. Good luck with all those gorgeous scraps!

sophie said...

How about using the squares as background in 6-inch star blocks? You could use similar colors (like the I-spy quilt I posted recently) or make them completely scrappy. You could use the strips for the center and star points? You could make Bonnie Hunter's Maverick (liberated) stars, friendship stars, or (like mine) something like a sawtooth star.

The Calico Cat said...

scrap vomit - free tutorial on "I'm a Ginger Monkey" blog - google it. I've made several of them.

Alex north said...

I'm about to do some scrappy broken dishes blocks (one consistent fabric, the rest scrappy) and I am using squares - admittedly, mine are larger than that! Or you could check on my scrapbusting blog and see what I've used that size for... http://scrapbusting.blogspot.co.uk/

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

You could always use 4 of each square and make a bunch of interlocking plus signs. Make it scrappy and don't worry about placement.