Friday, August 30, 2013

Finally, a feather

After knitting and ripping for nearly a week, I finally finished my first feather for the dreambird shawl.  I don't really like anything about it!  The black lace yarn is splitty and hard to knit with. Maybe my eyes are just too old for black yarn?  And the Noro sock yarn is just crazy -- it varies from the thickness of DK-weight to the thickness of a single sewing thread, which makes me wonder whether the shawl will just disintegrate at some point in the not-too-distant future.

And the lengthy instructions are bizarre!  Thankfully, someone condensed it all down into a simple list of the 70 rows for each feather, and then Denise posted her idea for a chart -- that ended up saving me!

So... now that I feel like I understand the process, I guess I have to go find some yarn that will make it all worthwhile...

2 comments:

Barbara C said...

I think it looks nice, though I can appreciate the difficulty of the pattern and of using black. I have a "Leftie" in my UFOs, a similar pattern (leaves instead of feathers), and the pattern is very well written.

Judy S. said...

Sounds like new yarn is in order. Splitty yarns make me crazy, and I agree, Noro can be hard to work with also.