Friday, April 19, 2013

for the birds

I think I've dropped off the face of the blogosphere lately -- not sure why, exactly!  Not much sewing, little to say, I guess... 

I've been plugging away at my day job, and doing some freelance technical editing on the side for a craft-book publisher. It's fun, and I thought it would be pretty much a piece of cake given what a stickler I am for proper instructions and all... but holy cow! it's a workout!  Every time I re-read something I find things to tweak, and then the second editor and the copy editor and the production editor  all have comments, too! I haven't had any prior experience in the publishing world before, and was surprised to find out how long it takes a book to go from idea to publication, and how many people are involved in the process.  I'm working on my third book now -- the first is due to be in the stores in June, and I'm sworn to secrecy until then.  I will say there are some cool patterns in it, though!

The little sewing I've done recently was this:


You still have a few days to get in on this month's block lotto -- but fair warning: I am definitely going to win a set of these birds this month! (and if for some reason I don't win -- but I WILL! -- then I foresee a marathon bird-making session in the sewing room sometime soon.

4 comments:

Kay said...

Oh, wonderful birds! Do you have a link to the pattern?

Libby Fife said...

Glad that you are still plugging along! Not sure I could handle all the input from the various people involved in that process but I bet it really is a workout!

Julie in the Barn said...

How cute are those birdies? I've always wondered about the publishing process. So often there are instructions that seem more complicated than they should be or blatant errors.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

That sounds like fun. Are you working with C&T? They're in the Bay area.