Monday, April 30, 2012

Therapy

I recently checked Joan Ford's "Scrap Therapy" book out from the library. (I subscribe to the theory that the more quilting and knitting books I check out, the more new ones the library will acquire, and it seems to be working!)

Anyway, my closet is becoming overrun with scraps and even a year and more of the rainbow scrap challenge isn't having enough effect... possibly because they're such a mess that I don't want to look at them, and because every time I do the scraps fluff themselves up and refuse to fit back in their bins -- resulting in more bins.

So anyway, the theory in the book is to cut all your scraps into 3 sizes of squares that can be easily used together; to do this a bit at a time but make steady progress; and then to make some cool quilts out of them.  I started with a shoe-box sized container of reds, all mushed together, and after about 3 days ended up with this:
You'll notice that I'm actually cutting the squares in 4 sizes instead of 3 because Ford doesn't include 2.5" ones in her mix and I had a lot of scraps that begged for that size. If I'd known that the scrap challenge color for May was going to be yellow, I wouldn't have started with red...  but since I have such a tiny collection of yellow scraps this year, I made quick work of them tonight:

I've saved out the scraps that were width-of-fabric strips, but the rest are cut into squares.  Of course, while looking for my yellow scraps I found another whole container of red ones.  And blue -- I'm not looking forward to those...

In other news, I attended a birthday party for a one-year-old neighbor yesterday and couldn't go empty-handed. Since she's recently started walking, I decided she needed her own tote-bag.  Lots of fun! It's about 9" square.



Coming up soon -- a review of the new Modern Quilts Illustrated magazine published by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr.  And -- a finished quilt.



2 comments:

Libby Fife said...

Love the image of a 1 year old with a tote bag! I bet it is almost as big as her. Very cute:)

Flávia e Cristiana said...

Olá! Adorei suas publicações. Um abraço.