Monday, January 16, 2012

deep thoughts

In the midst of all my fussing with the scrap bins, I came across a recent post from Wanda at Exuberant Color -- she says, "I have been thinking about the current obsessive trend that we have to use up all of our scraps.  I think I'm leaning toward cutting into my yardage so I can use the good, favorite stuff in my lifetime. "

Wow -- that's me! I have a ton of batiks, for instance, that I really want to use for a couple of specific quilts, but I keep thinking that I need to clean up the scraps first. Now that I put it in writing, it seems crazy...  I think I'll stick with my two easy rainbow ideas (previous post) just to keep things under control, but mostly move on to some newer things that I've been putting off for too long.

7 comments:

Exuberant Color said...

Yes!! We will create more scraps but they will be new and exciting. I still love scrap quilts and will make a few but the scraps will not rule my life! So on to some new things, and then a scrap quilt or 2 while we gather ideas for the next project.

imquilternity said...

I also saw Wanda's post and totally agree! I do think it's easy to get obsessed about things and sometimes it just takes one person saying, "stop for a minute, let's think about this" to bring us to our senses and release us from our guilt! Yay for Wanda and you too!!

Margaret said...

There are always people that want scraps. I have cleaned my stash of scraps significantly by posting free scrap boxes (ou pay postage).

Libby Fife said...

It's the whole thing about eating leftovers and cleaning your plate. Maybe we are all children of the children of the depression. (somehow:))

*karendianne. said...

Good for you. It's all great and I know for me I need the balance of ALL. I reckon that's why I'm always going from on thing to another which really isn't your point. I'm really here to cheer you on with your thoughts. I like how you shared them. The title got me. :) *karendianne.

Barbara C said...

Your post is well timed. This weekend I cut into some fabric I'd been saving for years (but without any specific project in mind). Now I can admire it almost daily: I made napkins for my new placemats.

DPUTiger said...

I'm no Jack Handy, but I figured out a long time ago that I'm just not a scrap quilter. I don't enjoy making scrap quilts. I don't worry about scraps piling up. Every so often, I do a non-quilt crafty project with scraps, but for the most part? Yeah, I'm a yardage quilter. Makes it easy to ignore the scrap pile. This is supposed to be fun!

For knitting, I do keep my scraps. I've had to patch enough sweaters that I know it's a good thing to have a bit of the original yarn around. Now if I could just find the damn remnants for my Colourscape sweater that got moused a year ago. Grrr...