Sunday, January 15, 2012

big scraps, little scraps

It's the rainbow scrap challenge again this year, and this month's color is RED. Even though I used a lot of red scraps last year, the bin has filled up again so I'm going to do my best...

I started out with little scraps, copying an idea from Kathy -- but my block is 18" to her 12" one, so that I could use a bunch of 2" squares. This is Knot My Block by  Tina Curran from the 3rd Quiltmaker block collection, and I'm thinking I can do them in different colors and end up with a rainbow quilt at the end of the year.

Then I thought back to this quilt I made for my nephew last spring, and remembered that I had planned to make a single large block using 6" squares instead of 2" squares. This finishes at 36" square, which is a nice size for a newborn. It could have an extra row of blocks at top and bottom, too.

I decided to go for the red and aqua combination that's so popular right now. Once you get the fabric cut, it only takes about an hour to put the whole top together.  I may try to make a bunch of these in different colors, too, since it's a way to use some bigger scraps.

Coming soon: book review and give-away!

8 comments:

scraphappy said...

Beautiful blocks. I love the idea of using bigger squares.

Cathy Tomm said...

Your blocks have turned out great. The knot block will make a great rainbow quilt.

Libby Fife said...

Good idea for both blocks. Simple but the pattern is nicely complex.

Elly D said...

I love both these blocks and I like your idea of making the squares bigger to make up a small quilt. Looking forward toseeing your Rainbow knotty one develop. Elly

Char said...

Great blocks!

Patty said...

Red is one of my favorite colors. I love the idea of adding aqua to it.

sophie said...

Your block looked familiar--check out these old, you guessed it, lotto blocks, made from a pattern on Quilters Cache that Marcia called Strips & Squares.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's awesome! And it will be so fun to have 2 "sister quilts" to compare at the end of the year!