Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday Miscellany

First things first --I received my quilt from ALQS6 today, and I am totally thrilled -- this was made from scraps of old Japanese kimonos, and the colors and texture and depth of it are superb!  It was made by Sandra Champion in Tasmania -- who happens to be a friend of my sister there. What a crazy world this is...  apparently Sandra didn't know about the connection until she casually mentioned that she had sent a quilt to Oakland and my sister said that that was her hometown. Too funny...
 

 Here's a close-up of one part of the quilt with some of the hand-stitching.
My quilt for the swap was this one, which went to Jay in Texas. I call it "Lucky Sixes" and I'm planning to make a "cousin" of it for myself one of these days.
 
(Interlude: Blogger is making me absolutely insane tonight trying to get my photos and words where I want them. And then it tries to turn all my text into hyperlinks. Why can't those geniuses make it work better?)

Okay, I feel better now.  This month's scrappy rainbow color is brown, and this is as far as I've gotten -- there's going to be a Kona Snow background,and probably a few more darker brown strips, and maybe a splash of something else to liven it up.


 
 And speaking of rainbows and strips, I finished "Think Green Thoughts" tonight. It is seriously wonky (no, it's not just my crooked photography skills) but I really like it and I think it will live in the trunk of my car for impromptu picnics and other emergencies.

5 comments:

Libby Fife said...

Wow! I like all of those pieces but especially that first one.

It really is a small world isn't it?

DPUTiger said...

I'm green with envy that you're quilting. I need to do a better job of balancing my hobbies ... and finding free time!

Kay said...

I'm with Libby. These are all great. ARen't you lucky with the first one. It's a beauty.

Barbara C said...

I still think your green quilt is wonderful. Maybe the wonkiness can be a design feature? It has great movement and vitality.

katelnorth said...

Fantastic - love the brown strippy - and love the green one as well, wonky or not. I should throw a quilt in the boot of my car, too, for emergency picnics and so on - why haven't I thought of that before?