Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fibrous content

Don't these look beautiful?  It's a totally improbable concept: baked kale chips -- I read about them on Smitten Kitchen and tried them out with half a bunch of kale yesterday afternoon.  They are wonderful!  They use just a tiny amount of olive oil and some seasalt, and they're full of all that cruciferous goodness and fiber, but they taste decadent.  They will be one of the snacks I serve on Thursday while everyone waits for the turkey to be done...

In other news, I finished a vest I'd been knitting for a while.  It stalled out for a month or two because it is a bit funky -- the variegated yarn may have been a mistake -- but I muddled through and added some crochet edging and I think I might actually wear it.




It's made from a cotton & linen blend yarn called Berroco Linsey that turned out to be a little floppier than I expected.

Quilty things coming up soon -- I have several projects that are almost done (especially if I can get the Brother to stop breaking my thread!)

4 comments:

imquilternity said...

Those Kale "chips" look wonderful. I've never tasted Kale, nor do I even know how to use it. Do you recommend I learn? BTW, I looked up another good recipe using Chard and wanted to let you know. It's at Marthastewart.com and it's called "Rigatoni with Swiss Chard." It's really good and I only make a couple of changes to make it better (IMHO). I use Fusilli pasta, 2 bunches of chard and 1 cup of Ricotta (I have not used fresh yet). If you try it, let me know what you think.

I love your sweater vest! Sounds very warm and cosy - especially for where you live.

The Calico Cat said...

I think you can do this to any leafy veg. I make brussles sprouts & the out her leaves - or the ones that are no longer attached end up like this & are very potato chip-y. YUM!

DPUTiger said...

I have heard great things about kale chips, but have never tried them. May have to remember that!

sophie said...

I tried these after I read this post and liked them so much that today I was inspired to "chip-ify" carrots. They were pretty yummy.