Sunday, May 22, 2011

Irons, again

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and advice on the subject of irons. Nearly everyone said they had to replace them often and disliked many of them.

Special thanks to Wanda, who explained the mystery of the pleats to me!

I know that quilters use their irons more than the average person, and we tend to leave them on longer, too. But really -- this planned obsolescence thing is jut going too far! We should have to expect to buy a new iron every year...

I returned the B&D Classic yesterday but there was nothing else interesting at Target or at Orchard Supply nearby. Since some friends are coming over for a sewing day today, I ran out to the local Ace Hardware this morning to see what I could find. I ended up with another B&D:It's a "Digital Advantage" with a little extra wattage. I think this is similar to the one I had before, which lasted a couple of years. I plugged it in and gave it a whirl...

For quilting, I think it will be good. It heats up fast, irons smoothly, and puts out a lot of steam. But. There is no way to control the steam other than by turning down the temperature. The higher the temp, the more steam you get. My older version didn't work that way, and why would they think that was a good thing to change? I guess I could always just pour out the water if I want to iron dry, right?

And, try as I might, I couldn't get the sprayer to work at all. (it said to pump it a few times the first time you used it, but still nothing). Sigh. Back to the spray bottle.

1 comment:

imquilternity said...

Well good luck with the new one. I've had the same problem year after year. Every time I find one I like they stop making it. I don't understand iron manufacturers! I don't even like the Rowenta irons (had 3 of them before I finally gave up) and they are supposed to be one of the best....they are certainly pricey!!