Monday, April 11, 2011

Squee!

Every year I watch Vicki's bird photos, and Sue's bird photos, and I'm so envious... but now I have a photo of my own to share:We have a huge clump of ornamental grass up on the retaining wall behind our house, and usually it gets cut back to a foot tall in the winter -- but this year it didn't, due to rainy weekends, schedule conflicts, and general laziness. I was just getting to the point of nagging Al to trim it last week when I noticed that one of the song sparrows was spending a lot of time rustling around inside the clump instead of just sitting on one spike of grass singing as usual.

We decided to do a little reconnaissance mission, and discovered the nest! So cute... the parents hung out and scolded us while we worked in the yard for an hour or so, but they did go back to the nest after that so all appears to be well. I'll probably take another peek when I hear some cheeping noises.

(I hope to have some quilty stuff to show soon!)

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

Yay!!!!

Pat said...

Exceptional picture!!

Sue H said...

What a great find!

ma smalls said...

Song Sparrows are really wonderful and on the decline around these parts, so be very happy you can raise a family!

MARCIE said...

Oh I love this! Such pretty eggs! That will be fun to watch!