Tuesday, March 08, 2011

buyer beware (no quilty content...)

I started thinking a few days ago about refining the house. We hadn't done this for about 8 years and, yeah -- I should have done it LAST year, but oh well...

So, I went online and plugged in some basic information at Lending Tree because I'm a sheep and I see their commercials and it should save me time, right?

Not to brag, but DH and I have excellent credit scores. I know that lenders are under pressure to make loans and must be totally jazzed when someone shows up who pays their bills on time... but GIVE ME A BREAK!

I got six "bids" which were all pretty much the same. I actually talked to two people. But I have gotten DOZENS of phone calls and emails from these 6 companies in the last three days. One guy (First Liberty, you know who you are) has called and emailed 6 times after I told him I had chosen to work with someone else. I recognize all their phone numbers now and don't answer...

They are making me insane. After all that, I decided to call a local guy that one of my colleagues had used, and he's locked in the same rate and similar fees. And he's not calling me every five minutes.

5 comments:

Me aka Supermom said...

The rates are insane. We bought 7.5 yrs ago and got an amazing rate of 4.75% for a 30yr fixed. I thought my husband was nuts last summer when he suggested refinancing - we ended up getting a 3-1/8% for 15 yrs!...we can barely itemize our taxes now :-)

*karendianne. said...

Sheesh. Sounds good but golly makes a person want to unplug the phone!

paula, the quilter said...

I had a wild hair about a year ago and did the same with colleges. I was briefly thinking of going back to school. I was inundated with emails and phone calls. Never did go back to school.

LC said...

Annoying but it sort of shows how "hungry" people are for business.

imquilternity said...

We are lucky that we didn't have your experience. We went with the original broker for our first home. He's low-key and very organized. It was soooo easy and we got a very good rate!