Saturday, February 26, 2011

random acts of red

It's red month at the rainbow scrap challenge, and I've waited until pretty much the last minute to get something done -- or at least done to "flimsy" status. I started out by arbitrarily cutting 3-1/2" squares out of all the red scraps that were big enough. Then I started randomly sewing them together until a bigger plan took shape...
And this is how it came out:
The gray sashing is Quilters' Linen, which was in my stash but I hadn't ever used it before. And the outer border was a long strip left over from making a shirt, I think. I think it will get some simple meandering in the 16-patch blocks and some doodles in the sashing and border... one of these days. Ready for the next color now!

By the way -- my new header photo is my starting row for a row robin group project. I hope to have a leafy autumn quilt by the end of the summer.

11 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I like that grey in there with all the red -- a little relief, though I love red! And your new header is lovely, but I'm thinking summer, not autumn!

PEGGY said...

So many people using grey these days. I love how you used all your reds!!
What will the next color be

Scrappy quilter said...

I love how the grey shows in this quilt. Such a lovely quilt.

Angelcat said...

Your flimsy is great. Like the other ladies who have commented I really like the contrast of the grey and red :)

*karendianne. said...

Oh yummy! This is fantastic. I love me some red and the 16 patch is one of my favorite blocks. You caught me. :)

Cherry Red Quilter said...

wow simple style and only two colours but SO effective. Love it. Happy stitching!

Barbara C said...

Great color choice for the sashing. Your top looks great.

Kay said...

I always love your scrap pieces, and this is no exception. The grey sashing is good color choice, but the narrowness of it makes a perfect contrast too.

Lilian Pilar said...

I like the look and contrast of gray ... a big hug

Ellen said...

I have never used gray and I must say it looks great in your quilt top.

LuAnn said...

I love your red quilt, and the gray you used for the sashing just sets it off perfectly!