Saturday, January 29, 2011

Scrappy Saturday

Today I decided to tackle the big bin o' batik scraps -- the rotary cutter is there for scale! This is a cube from Ikea with batik scraps going back for years. I blatantly stole an idea from Kate and started working away at a quilt day with friends. Here's how far I got:

My fabrics seem to be a little more neutral than Kate's overall, but I'm really liking the interplay of color and pattern so far. Unfortunately this hasn't really made a noticeable change in the scrap bin; I feel this could be a very long project!

In other news, I finished one (modified) Switcheroo sock and have started the second:

This is with Shibui Sock yarn. The heel is a very nice linen stitch, which I hadn't done before. I decided to stop the lace pattern at the foot because I don't really like lace feet, and also because I could not for the life of me figure out how to start it up again after doing the heel turn... or I was tired of doing it -- your choice!

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Your blocks look great!

*karendianne. said...

Mmmm, LOVE your blocks. Absolutely love them.

blauraute said...

Your blocks look wonderful. I'm very interested to see the quilt finished.
Have a nice sunday
Roswitha

Darcie said...

Those socks look absolutely lovely, Julie! And I would vote for un-lacy feet any day.

Looks like a fun batik project! Hope you are able to find a taker/exchanger to make it even more fun for yourself!

Happy Monday!

jovaliquilts said...

Your scrap project is terrific -- the blacks and batiks are great together. And the sock, well, wow.