Saturday, January 01, 2011

challenges and mysteries

Aren't these the coolest blocks ever? They're the lotto block for January, called "stacks" and I think I might have to make "stacks" from all my buckets of scraps! Head on over to the Block Lotto blog for more information if you'd like to join in.

I've been busy this weekend, working on the Planet Patchwork mystery from Christmas day. Here's the result, minus a border or two. I had just enough of the geometric fabric left over from an old row robin, and I paired it with a bunch of yellow scraps. That fabric folded up on the right side is green that "in real life" matches the green in the print -- but you really can't tell that from the picture! Anyway, it's clearly not the right border fabric so I need to go root around in the stash some more tomorrow.
One more little project -- this is for the monochromatic challenge at Soscrappy. I wanted to try out Elizabeth's mod mosaic technique using the January color of Blue.

It was a fun project -- but as you can see I had a lot of trouble keeping my white strips even, although I sewed very slowly and really thought they should be doing better. I "built" the quilt from bottom to top, and the strips on the top do look better... so I guess it's just something else that needs practice!

I'm planning to do another one of these for a swap quilt; since the finished size will be quite small, I started my white strips at 3/4" instead of the 1" strips in the Mod Mosaic tutorial.

This is what's left over:

8 comments:

scraphappy said...

I love your mod mosaic block. I may have to try that technique out. The scrap stacks would look great in blue too though. Yikes, so many ideas. Thanks for joining in.

Connie said...

Love your mosaic block! Going to check it out. I seem to have trouble with seams like that too.

Ellen said...

Both blocks look great. I am going to have to check out Block Lotto.

Kay said...

Stacks is wonderful! What a brilliant and brilliantly simple idea. I like the modern mosaic too.

katelnorth said...

Love the mod mosaic idea - might do a small quilt that way myself...

Amy (lilme2_99) said...

Oh no..oh no...I .... Must....resist....that....link!!!!!!

;0)

SO COOL mosaic block! And I mean COOL!

Celia said...

Thanks for sharing the mosaic, I must try it out.

Kathy said...

I like what you have designed using your mosaic sewing method. It is a cute piece.