Tuesday, November 09, 2010

yes I can still sew

Just to prove I still have the ability to sew, here's my latest top. This is from the Whackie Girl pattern that I first saw on Nancy's site. It's made with a set of Indigo (by Timeless Treasures) FQs that I absolutely had to have as soon as they came out. I think it's the only time I've bought a whole set of one line of fabric...

It's hard to see, but the outer border is tiny white dots. I have a quilting plan for this, so it might actually get finished relatively soon!

In between all this not-sewing, I've done some traveling. First was a weekend up in Astoria, Oregon -- it's west of Portland almost to the end of the Columbia River. A very cute little downtown with a couple of "eh" quiltshops and a very nice maritime museum. It's also the home of the Happy Zombie, who gave me some great suggestions of places to eat in town.

This "fixer-upper" was across from the B&B we stayed at:
There's a long story behind it, having to do with a once-wealthy and prominent family that became notoriously dysfunctional over time. I'm paraphrasing... you can read about them here.

It was Oregon-gray when we were there. The waterfront used to be lined with fish-processing plants, but they're pretty much gone. The gulls are still hanging out, though, and I liked the lines here

In the back of all this is a long and very high bridge connecting Oregon and Washington. Have I mentioned that I have a well-developed bridge phobia? I got nervous just looking at this one -- there is a big curving ramp to get up to the start of it and I think it was something out of a nightmare! (of course I live in the Bay Area, which has 8 or 9 bridges within a short distance of my house. Some of them don't bother me, and others I avoid...)
Notice the color of the sky in this next photo? That's because we're not in Oregon any more! We spent a few days in Madison, Wisconsin to visit in-laws and the weather was absolutely beautiful -- every time I go there in the fall I want to move there.

Then someone reminds me about the -25 degree winter mornings and the inches of ice that you have to blast off your windshield... Anyway, this was an interesting church in Mt. Horeb, about 20 miles or so to the west of Madison. We found a little yarn shop where one of the owners produces yarn from her own sheep, and excellent tomato soup at the Sommer Garden Cafe.

No pictures from Mad-City itself, but here's the family out for a walk at Indian Lake on Saturday afternoon -- from front to back it's DH Al, his brother Glenn, sister Kathi, his dad, BIL Daniel and SIL Maria Rosa.

This little cutie is Kathi and Daniel's son Gabriel -- who was running circles around everyone and trying to avoid my camera. He's about 3-1/2 now and wicked smart!A little taste of fall for you...
And perhaps the best part of the trip was this sign in the Milwaukee airport, just past the security checkpoint:

There's been quite a bit written about this, as I found when I googled to see if it was really a word (apparently it is!) -- it's even made it into the Huffington Post.

I'll be back soon with more knitting, and maybe a couple of couple of UFOs will get put to bed...

7 comments:

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Way to go, Whackie Girl! I've had an itch to make another one of these myself!

sophie said...

I've had a "liberated rail fence" block on my future lotto list and your quilt has convinced me that I really need to move forward with the idea. I love the way these are put together.

Thanks for the photos from your travels, too. It looks like, even if you haven't been sewing or knitting, you've been having some fun adventures.

Nicole said...

I love Madison too. One of my sisters lives there and I need to get out to visit her more often.

Libby Fife said...

I think you know how I feel about bridges! Great pics and I need to know what that area in the airport is all about:)

Does Bucky know that you put his back end up as your header???LOL!

Kay said...

Love the indigo quilt. You always have the best scrappy, liberated looking quilts that make me want to buckle down and do something similar.

Darcie said...

Love your waterfront and bridge photos, Julie! Wow...the lines...the misty hues. (I have a thing for grey.) ;-)

So glad that Wisconsin weather was good to you!

Happy weekend, wherever you are! ;-)

imquilternity said...

We visited Astoria after the Portland Quilt Market a couple years ago and loved it. We stayed 4 days and didn't want to leave. Of course, we went exploring all around the area and that meant going over that bridge. The first part (which is the curvy part you're talking about) was quite nerve-wracking for me since I have a fear of heights, but the rest was wonderful. I don't even remember the quilt shops there and I know we must have visited them. I do remember having some wonderful seafood and watching the big ships come and go. Thanks for reminding me of such a wonderful trip.