Monday, September 06, 2010

Labors of the Day

First things first: food! Whenever my mini-groups get together, there has to be "snack" and it better be good! Today was an informal meet-up at my house so I did a little baking. It started with a bunch of apples that had been sitting in the fridge for a while and somehow we kept ignoring them. I went to Smitten Kitchen to see what she had to say about apples, and was drawn in by "Mom's Apple Cake":


It has a ton of big chunks of apple with cinnamon-sugar and walnuts, and a little cake batter to hold it together. Yum! It almost tastes like bread & butter pudding, except that it's apple chunks instead of bread cubes. (and you can substitute applesauce for half the oil with no ill effects!)

I've had several projects on the verge of being finished, and two were done today. This is from a row robin in an online group last year, but was originally based on a batik & black swap a few years back -- very cheery...


And this was a little sampler I made while doing the "Press for Success" class online with Quilt University -- also a couple of years ago. I love the way it coordinates with the rug in our entry!
I have a big quilt that needs the binding sewn on, but it needs to wait until the weather cools down a bit here. True to form, summer seems to start in September!

7 comments:

Libby Fife said...

That cake looks wonderful! The quilts aren't too bad either:)

The Calico Cat said...

Ditto. (In case you were wondering, most of the time "Jewish Apple Cakes" are named thusly because they are non-dairy.)

When you greased the pan, did you use "Pam" or Crisco or?

Pat said...

Calico: thanks for the info on where the name of this cake originated. I've always wondered that!

If I could cut a big chunk right out of my computer screen, I would. That cake looks yummy, and because it has apples, it HAS to be good for you, right? The apples negate the calories?

Are you willing to share your recipe?

Dianne said...

I am SO making that apple cake, Julie!

I'm loving that little quilt with the orange...really gorgeous.

Back in Oz, too chilly to spend time in the garage pinning together quilt layers, so it's all just knit, knit, knit!

Oddbjørg said...

Hello,
The apple cake looks delicious!
The quilts are lovely; especially the little one.
Greetings from Norway

The Calico Cat said...

That cake was great!

Barbara C said...

Your grey quilt is especially striking, and that cake is calling my name.