Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Wild Ride -- a lemon?

So I did the block of the month presented by Three Creative Studios, and this is the result -- I named it "Wild Ride" a while back because it is seriously bright, way more than the photo would have you think!
Before that, though, there was the beta version... I had this idea that it needed a "sizzle strip" -- and hey, why not bright orange?

And then one of my friends had done a border with diagonal seams recently and maybe that would be cool on this, using some of the fabrics from the blocks?

No, no, no. I didn't realize exactly how bad it was until I downloaded the photos. I'm showing it here only as a cautionary message to all of you: less is indeed more.


And here's my tip of the week: your quilting rulers are not just for quilting! The other morning at about 5, there was this huge commotion (oh, not again) involving Bucky and a mouse; this resulted in them being locked in the bathroom (again) until I was ready to deal with it. Strangely, 2 hours later the mouse was still alive, hiding behind the little tiny trashbasket. Apparently it never occurred to Bucky to move it aside! I trapped the mouse with the base of my salad spinner and picked it up with the 12" ruler.

I thought about trying to get a picture of the mouse from underneath, but I hadn't had any coffee yet and I just knew I'd end up letting him loose in the house again! Instead, he was dropped in some shrubbery and took off like a flash...

8 comments:

sophie said...

Eek! I suspect Bucky was having too much fun playing with the mouse (until it found a safe spot) to kill it.

Your Wild Ride looks like it ended on just the right note--as much as I love pieced borders, multiple borders, etc., your final result seems just perfect.

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Wild Ride is terrific. The mouse, not so much. Bo has been in pursuit of a mouse under our bed during the night and I hope he meets with success soon. Seems unseasonable to me; we don't usually contend with these guys until October.

madmimat: ???

LC said...

You are so creative! I will think of your mouse now, every time I pick up my 12" ruler! Wild Ride turned out just fine.

Vicki W said...

The end result was great! Yes, sometimes less is more and I often have trouble accepting that!

Kay said...

You win the prize for ingenuity, for sure. I laughed out loud.

Julie said...

Yuck about the mouse! I do like the version of the quilt with the simpler border and I love the colors!

Joyce said...

I love Wild Ride with and without the sizzle strip. In my books, a quilt can't be too bright.

Glenys said...

I like the cloths especially the viola one.