Sunday, July 25, 2010

Long Beach report

While I always come home from shows with a camera full of images, it's always easy for me to pick just a few favorites... Long Beach was no exception! There was one large section marked "no photography", of course, but I found most of my inspiration in the other areas. Everything at Long Beach seems to be part of one specific group or another -- there isn't really a general section of quilts that have been juried in like you find at most of the other larger quilt shows. I'm not sure I like this aspect of it...

Anyway -- here's my gallery for your entertainment!


Remembering Sweden, by Helena Scheffer of Beaconsfield, Quebec -- I love the simple geometry of this piece, and it really DOES look like Sweden to me!


April Showers Bring May Flowers, by Therese Kirchner of Mequon, Wisconsin -- if you enlarge the photo, you'll see the large raindrops created in the background quilting. It's very subtle and lovely.


Piccadilly Square by Gyleen Fitzgerald of Churchville, Maryland. One of my favorite exhibits was "Trash to Treasure" pineapple quilts. Gyleen developed a
"pineapple ruler" (and wrote a book) and issued the challenge to quilters to make the scrap quilts that became the exhibit. It was a lot of fun to study the differences and decide what worked and what didn't. Of course I came home with one of her rulers and I'm set to attack my scrap bins...

Rainbow, by Ita Ziv of Pardes-Hana, Israel -- this quilt is made of strips of very sheer fabrics with bits of metallic blended in. Quite ethereal...


The Big Wild Goose Pagoda, by Jean Smith of Fort Myers, Florida -- I was blown away by the fabric combinations in this quilt, and the clever way it was pieced. And the design, of course!

Hope you enjoyed the show!

3 comments:

sophie said...

I very much enjoyed the show this morning. Thank you!

And I think I might *need* one of those pineapple rules, too.

Barbara C said...

Thanks for the great overview of the show. I love all your selections.

Kay said...

I loved that Remembering Sweden quilt when I saw it in Chicago! Thanks for the pointer about the raindrops on the other one; I'd have missed it otherwise.