Sunday, July 04, 2010

greetings from the garden isle

There's something about Kauai... as soon as I get away from the airport my whole being seems to take a deep breath and relax. It's the soft air, the tradewinds, the green and blue. Ahhhh.

The race report is looking really good! Al has handily passed three boats and caught up substantially on the others that he considered his main competition. He's now just over 500 miles from the finish line, and I should see him sometime on Thursday.

The race committee posts a position report twice a day, using Google Earth, and here's the most recent picture. Al's boat is "Bandicoot", and if I knew how to draw an arrow pointing to it, I would! But I don't...

One of the sailors has more than a dozen family members here to greet him when he comes in, and it's all a surprise. I ran into them at dinner tonight. He's expecting only one person so I can't wait to see his reaction when they all show up. Three of the boats are in already and there is such an air of excitement!

Along with the obligatory palm tree photo above, I have to show you this view at Tunnels Beach on the north shore. The water is such an incredible color.

This is a cave across from the beach -- looks like something out of a Harry Potter books down there...

And this is the outside of the cave, with these long tree roots swooping around in the breeze --

Finally, you can't see Kauai without the wild chickens everywhere. I thought this one had especially nice coloring --

5 comments:

Libby Fife said...

We were there sevral years ago and the water really truly is that color. Just gorgeous so thanks. Hope all is well with Al.

Darcie said...

Mmmmm...that is relaxing, isn't it! Enjoy to your hearts content, Julie! You deserve it. Thanks for sharing those pics...I'd love to go there someday.

Google Earth. What an invention! "Go Al!"

haha My word verification is quilitho. Quilt 'ho?! ;-D

Julie said...

Wow, great job Al! What great pics, I have never been to Hawaii so I enjoy seeing them. That is an awesome cave!

Vicki said...

Well this must be the year for vacationing in Hawaii. I just got back from Kauai about 3 weeks ago. I hope you get some time to visit both Kapaia Stitchery in Lihue and Vicky's Fabrics in Kapaa. Great quilt shops.

There have been a few other quilt bloggers on recent trips to Hawaii including SewCalGal.

DPUTiger said...

All of my visits to our 50th state have been confined to Honolulu and business. Someday, I hope to be able to visit Kauai!