Monday, June 07, 2010

Monday's design wall, basketry, and a small rant

First things first -- I haven't shown my design wall for a while, so here's something new. I bought a "Bali Pop" about a year and a half ago and I've been trying to figure out what to do with it. I stumbled across Kaffe Fassett's "S Block" pattern in a library book recently and it just fit the bill!This is the color scheme called "spumoni"... I always hated spumoni ice cream -- all those weird little hard chunks of something unidentifiable -- but I'm loving these rich colors. They're very similar to the last quilt I posted, as a matter of fact. I have a few more blocks to make and I think this one will get done pretty quickly!

**************************************************************************
We interrupt this post for a brief rant: Bali Pops. They're supposed to be 2.5" strips, and you'd think that they would measure 2.5". You would be mistaken! Most of them measure a very scant 2.5" in some places and as much as 1/8" less in others. That means that if you're cookin' along with scant 1/4" seams, the finished block is going to measure something significantly less than you expect it to. That's why MY blocks are going to finish at 9.5" instead of 10". It's not tragic with this pattern, but I'd be ticked if I was doing something with a lot of points to think about.
**************************************************************************

I've taken up basket-weaving in my spare time -- well not really. Wonky baskets are this month's block lotto project, and here is my collection. These were surprisingly fun and easy to make -- even the bias handles:

7 comments:

Libby Fife said...

That is a great pattern. Why am I not surprised that those strips aren't accurate??? LOL!

Joyce said...

I thought I was the only one who couldn't cut accurate strips, or triangles or anything else for that matter.
Love the baskets.

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

I've heard this before about Bali Pops. How irritating!

Rose said...

Love that 's' block with those fabrics.

I have not bought any of 2 1/2 inch fabric strips, but have bought fat quarters and them be as much as 1/2 inch off. Believe me I went on a rant--they happened to be Joann fabrics..I wrote them an email...and got a $15 gift card. I would not have been aggravated if as many had been over as were under...but i had at leat 10 and only one or two of them were a full 18 inches...all the rest were under.

The other thing that gets me is paying Quilt shop prices and getting home and it being a quarter inch short...I will always give the store that is generous more business.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant.

Kay said...

You're not the only one I've heard complain about the Bali pops. Apparently the Moda strips are even worse.

Darcie said...

haha I had to giggle out loud about your spumoni comment. Funny. ;-) But this quilt is oh-so pretty...so rich and decadent. Mmm...mm.

Really?! Goodness. One would think that all of those strips would be die cut. Crazy. Glad you chose a quilt pattern that could be easily altered...despite your frustration.

The baskets are adorable, Julie. They look like lots of fun to piece together.

Happy weekend!

imquilternity said...

I've also heard that about the Bali Pops, but haven't had any complaints from my customers. I guess "my" Bali Pops were OK! :)) Your quilt is just lovely and you picked the right pattern for a smaller-than-supposed-to-be block!