Wednesday, June 09, 2010

long-term robin project comes home!

Look what arrived in the mail today -- a round robin project that started more than a year ago and has been to Israel and the UK as well as all over the US. My original block was the lantern in the upper left corner --and then each participant added a little something in accordance with the rules of the game. This one has some bling in the form of rhinestones and metallic thread -- there's a dragon applique which (unintentionally) goes along with my being born in the year of the Dragon.

*edited to add: Tomodachi means "Friend"!

I've done two of these projects and the group has decided to disband now. I don't think I'm in the mood to do another in the near future, but Kate is working on plans for a stay-at-home round robin in this vein, if you're interested. And if you want to organize your own group I'd be happy to provide the guidelines we used -- it requires 14 people who are willing to keep it all secret for quite a while! Most of the steps are fairly quick -- and everyone ends up with a unique quilt.

4 comments:

Me aka Supermom said...

Looks good!

I did the octagon with the Geisha girl and the block to the left of it (if you care!~)

sophie said...

It looks like everyone had fun with your theme. I like the balance in the finished piece, but I wondered what does Tomodachi mean?

Darcie said...

Oooh...what a fun and different feel for a Round Robin! Very fun!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your round robin! Very unique and creative!
I used to do a lot of round robins but postage is just to high now to do the international mailings. It was really fun. I'll check out the link you provided for Kate.