Monday, May 31, 2010

lazy day

My holiday afternoon nap-on-the-sofa ended when one of the neighbor boys started popping caps on the street to amuse himself. It's such a little boy thing! And I wandered all over the house trying to figure out what was making "that noise" before I figured out that it was coming from outside.

I've been sort of lazy about sewing this week, but I did make a new purse. This is "Margo", the newest pattern from Lazy Girl Designs. I was excited to try it because I like the profile, and it has a neat "hidden" zipper. As with all the Lazy Girl patterns, the instructions are clear and well illustrated.
Here's the inside --tons of pockets. (there are two pockets on the outside front as well) The zipper sits about an inch below the top of the bag.
The zipper was just a bit fiddly to sew but not difficult. The only thing that concerns me is that the pattern calls for a regular nylon dressmaker zipper rather than something more "heavy duty" and I wonder whether it's likely to hold up to a lot of use...

In other news, did you know that it is really cheap and easy to replace the keyboard on a laptop computer? Somehow I had managed to wear out the lettering on several keys on mine, and it was getting hard to see what I was typing! I ordered a new keyboard for about $15 from Amazon (free shipping 'cause I also bought a new sock-pattern book...) and the actual replacement only took about 5 minutes. There are several tutorials on line.

Anyhow, I was about to throw away the old keyboard but I started thinking about the keys that were still "good" and what could I do with them... and could I use them in some crafty way? Here's the answer:
It's an artist trading card (ATC) for the birthday swap I'm in. I used some beautiful handmade paper that one of the swappers had sent me, and some beads from the bonanza I bought a a garage sale a few weeks ago. I might have to start scouting for spare keyboards now...

Bucky struck an interesting pose this morning -- he commandeered the bed about 30 seconds after I vacated it.
Here's the "devil eyes" version...
I spent several hours weeding and working in the garden this morning, which justified the totally lazy afternoon. I'm reading the new Elizabeth George mystery. I used to love her books but... the last couple left me cold, and this one isn't really holding my attention either. Is it just me?

11 comments:

Julie in the Barn said...

You are such a clever girl! Never thought about saving the old keyboard letters but they might come in useful for scrapbooking, too!

I played in the yard today, too. Such a nice day after all the crappy weather, huh?

My V word is "apersi" just like your new creation...a perse-y

Julie said...

Wow, I did even think you could replace a laptop keyboard. I have worn out several keys also. I will have to check that out! Love your ATC!

Marianne said...

I had no idea either that you can replace the keyboard part of a laptop. In the past I have made do with an external keyboard when I have ruined mine.
I have only just discovered Elisabeth George books so have only so far read 2 but am coming up to the last furlong on the 3rd. I turned to EG after experiencing a similar cold feeling with the last 2-3 P. D. James books that was published. Maybe we just need a break and try something new - then when reading one of their books later on it is like coming home kick the heels off and dive into our slippers. I like what I have read so far by EG but it took me a little while to get used to her writing style.

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Nifty, nifty bag, Julie!

Libby Fife said...

I got tired of all of the weirdness in Elizabeth George's books. I just couldn't tale all of the tortured emotional stuff between the characters.

In other news, clever girl with the purse, keyboard, and ATC! Keyboards are super inexpensive as you said and easy to replace.

Bucky looks good and just a little naughty:)

Suzanne Earley said...

I couldn't even read the book right after Helen died...actually, I just plain refused to read it. I am enjoying this one more than the previous one, but I agree: it's not like they used to be. I get that she wants to explore something different with her characters, but did she really have to kill Helen???

The Calico Cat said...

Bucky is thinking, "Leaf me alone." (Yes, I think I am funny.)

Tell me more about Elizabeth George. Do you "know" Nevada Barr or Sue Grafton? Does she write in their style (at least I think they are similar)?

Kay said...

I got tired of Elizabeth George a while back, and the reviews of this one haven't been good. So it's not just you. Do you read Martha Grimes? Her more recent ones aren't as good, but I still like her. Her characters are so lovable, and the hint of sadness that's always there is appealing to me.

Darcie said...

Cool use for the keys! I saw somewhere (on Etsy, perhaps?) where someone created jewelry out of them. They're so flat and cute...I can imagine there are tons of innovative uses.

Love your new bag!

Lasso the Moon said...

I like the bag. Great work.
Anna

DPUTiger said...

I love LGD patterns. They're so well written and easy to follow successfully! (Yes, I'm catching up from being out of town for two weeks. Sorry I'm so far behind!)