Wednesday, April 07, 2010

quilt show and how to scare small children

First, the quilt show: The East Bay Heritage Quilters is having their biannual (is that right? every other year?) show at the Oakland Convention Center this weekend. If you're in northern California, be sure to stop by because it's usually a really good show. I'll be around there all day Saturday and probably part of Sunday, too -- so let me know if you're going.

I'm doing my "debut" teaching gig there -- a demo of New York Beauty blocks. Not nervous yet, but I might be by Saturday! I'm working on some samples and prepping things to have in various stages so that I don't have to spend the whole hour just paper-piecing one set of spikes...

Okay, now to scaring children. My dear crazy husband is planning to sail single-handed from San Francisco to Hawaii this summer on a 30-foot boat. That is at least 2 weeks on a boat, 24-7, by himself. In the Pacific Ocean. Personally, I think I'd rather just shoot myself, but hey -- differences are what make a relationship exciting, right? I just happen to prefer dry land.

Anyway, he is all about preparation and is taking personal safety pretty seriously considering that he's doing this at all. So a few days ago he came home with a large box and proceeded to turn himself into a lobster:
Or perhaps a red Gumby -- I'm not really sure. he also slightly resembled the Tin Man:
It's a survival suit. Heaven only knows how anyone can move around in something like that, but it clearly is reflective (!) and watertight up to the face, and very very well insulated.

13 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

1. Good luck - you will do just fine - great in fact!
2. Does that suit hold - well urine in too? (I have never scuba'd but I have heard rumors...)

Libby Fife said...

Wow. The suit reminds me of the SNL skit from years ago featuring Eddie Murphy as Gumby. Maybe your husband will have a new gig awaiting him when he gets home?

PS- He is going to Hawaii without you???LOL!

Joyce said...

That's quite an outfit. Will you make a quilt to celebrate it? I guess it could come in handy in case of an accident. I've never even been on a sailboat. We live thousands of miles from any ocean.

joanne lendaro said...

thanks for the chuckle this morning!!

YOU will do GREAT!! You are so talented...don't sweat it!

Elaine Adair said...

OMGosh - Yes, Gumby, or Boomer! I must admire his courage ... I've done some sailing myself and would NOT want to do it along.

But the guy is toooo cute - at least right there safe in the house. 8-)))

miniaturequilter said...

Thanks for sharing, made me smile. Looks like you'll be able to make a quilt for this event (see what else he drags home)

Exuberant Color said...

I got my first belly-laugh of the day! Your husband's pose just cracked me up. It looks like his taller brother's suit! I'm with you and dry land. Wish him well for me.

paula, the quilter said...

I've been watching the Deadliest Catch and that suit is apparently called the Gumby Suit. Good luck to hubby.

sophie said...

Sounds like big adventures ahead for both you and your hubby. That Gumby suit is impressive.

I know you'll be a great teacher ... don't forget to have fun (I know your students will).

katelnorth said...

Gosh, I haven't thought of Gumby in years. And now, well, I have this mental image... Thanks! :) seriously, though, I like the idea of sailing to Hawaii, but not singlehanded - I think he's either brave or a bit mad. Or perhaps both?

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Well doggone, I wish I had been able to visit the quilt show but we were at my husband's car race event.

Best of luck to your husband's summer sea trek!

Darcie said...

lol Julie. I love your sense of humor! Yes...indeed...opposites do attract.

And you will keep us posted as to your husband's journey? Please? Will you meet him at his destination?! ;-)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Survival suits save lives! 2 of our local fishermen survived 5 hours in 52 degree water when their boat sunk in Oct. before being found. That is a long trip, solo - but do-able and also the right time of year. We have had many an epic sailing adventure in my family - it is hardest on the ones left behind on land! Cheers! Evelyn