Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Miss Golytely...

Since I'm going through the delightful -- or should I say "delyteful" prep process today, I thought you should all have to share my adventure! I'm thrilled that my doctor prescribed the 2-liters of disgusting liquid version instead of the standard 4-liters, but still...

I'm cranky! Somehow tea and lime jello just isn't a satisfying breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have apple juice, too. Does white wine count as "clear liquid"? I think so.

Should I stop torturing you now? Seriously, if you haven't done this and you're "over 50", you really should. The procedure itself is humiliating but painless -- especially if you find a doctor who believes in pretty much knocking you out! It's just one more little thing to check off your list. Do it.

edited several hours later to add: damn, this liquid stuff is disgusting! I think I still have several glasses to go and I'm already way behind schedule. And it's totally not fair that DH just made himself a huge bowl of popcorn that's smelled up the whole house!

8 comments:

sophie said...

Been there, done that and I don't want to burst your bubble, but it's not necessarily "painless." Apparently, I screamed through the entire process (even though the drugs conveniently blocked my memories of it, the nurses told me afterward) and when they gave me more drugs (even though I told them I was a "pharmaceutical virgin and it shouldn't take much" . . . I stopped breathing. They stopped when they were 90% complete and declared that I required a different technique . . . and rushed me out the door as soon as I woke up.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

According to my mom and dad, the worse part of the procedure is what you're doing right now ... drinking the foul liquid. Here's to a quick and good check-up. Just think, you'll be able to reward yourself this weekend. :-)

Elaine Adair said...

Well my dear, it will probably be over so I can rant!!! I thought the liquid was the worst, but no, the fact that NO ONE told me to have 2 dozen pairs of underwear at the ready, or just live in the tub, or or on the floor of the bathroom .... For me, the procedure itself was not remembered, but really, they ought to tell the patient ALL the effects. I asked the nurse AND the Dr. if they had ever had this procedure, they replied NO. I said, they SHOULD, before ordering it for patients. Ugh - I won't do this again, unless it is REALLY necessary - Sophie (above) had a bad experience, and I was told they couldn't complete mine due to need for additional anesthesia. All these medical tests seem to be so 'ordinary' ... I do NOT believe it. This test is a terrible shock to the body!

Libby Fife said...

Given the nature of the test and where it is located, I like that you were "way behind". :):):) Yes, I am about 12 years old still!

Barbara C said...

Oh dear, you have my sympathies. Dare I say it? Okay, yes... this too shall pass. I guess I'm 12 years old too.

Luckily my procedure was totally ordinary. I say skip the wine and ask for extra drugs.

Kay said...

I was totally out during mine. (I've done it twice.) So painless is right.

Jenni said...

I've been on "both ends of the scope" so to speak, as I've had a few colonoscopies and also worked as a nurse in that dept.
I would think anything that promises to clear out the entire contents of your bowel would leave nothing to the imagination...
If I were you I'd go for the wine, and ask for lots of drugs!

Ms. Jan said...

I'm with you Julie, the prep was the worst part. I did mine in January and the cold liquid going down hourly made me cold from the inside out and it took quite a while to get over that. Glad it's a done deal.