Monday, March 15, 2010

and the winners are...

but first, a digression!

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but for many years on the Academy Awards, the presenters who opened the envelopes always said "and the Oscar goes to..."

And for many years on Jeopardy!, when a contestant chose a daily double clue he/she always said "I'll wager $..."

But just recently I noticed that the Jeopardy! contestants are now saying "I'll bet..." and on the Academy Awards this year the presenters all said "and the winner is..."

I'm not sure what that means really, but I think it's interesting! It's like some veneer of fake civility has been stripped away and we're now free to talk the way normal people do.

Anyway, back to the give-away!

The Fat Quarter Frenzy book goes to LC, and the Fabric Leftovers book goes to Barbara C. I need a couple of days to figure out what's going with them, and then I'll make a little trip to the post office! Thanks to all of you for playing and for reading my "intermittent ramblings".

3 comments:

joanne lendaro said...

hahaha!! Funny post!

Congrats to the winners!!

jovaliquilts said...

Interesting observation. I have noticed some generational changes in language ("on accident" instead of "by accident"), and it's fun to watch the changes.

LC said...

Oh, oh, I'm so surprised! You have brightened my day!! Thank you.