Saturday, February 20, 2010

my productive day

So, a couple of years ago I did one of those "Block Party" things at a LQS -- you paid $5 or $10 to start and they gave you the fabric and pattern for a block; if you brought back the finished block the at the next meeting, you got the goods for the next block, and so on

The blocks were basically 9" blocks, but then they had these fancy little PITA corners they wanted you to add:
I didn't like the corner bits, so I made one set and basted them onto the new block every month so that I'd pass inspection...

And the blocks have been sitting in a stack waiting patiently ever since. I drafted several corner options but didn't really like any of them. Then, a few days ago, a discussion started up on the Stashbuster Yahoo list about Maple Island Quilts' BQ pattern, and how it had been used as a setting for orphan blocks. Yahoo! I've actually owned that pattern for years! I redrafted it in EQ to fit my 9" blocks instead of the 12" blocks it called for, and auditioned a bunch of stuff from the stash, and carted it all off to my mini-group date today...

et voila:
The "frames" are black with little metallic squares. I bought the fabric online a while back without realizing it was metallic, and I thought I'd never use it... but it's perfect for this!

6 comments:

Me aka Supermom said...

It's totally awesome. I love the block settings (may pirate it too ...:-)
margaret

Nancy said...

How funny to baste the PITA corners to each block!!! Did they never catch on? I am doing a similar program with my LQS... I am so far behind it will cost me a fortune to catch up...

jovaliquilts said...

I love the setting! I bought that same pattern right after I started quilting because it's so intriguing to look at, but I've never made it. It's a great setting for those blocks. And I was just about to google "PITA corners" when it suddenly dawned on me what you meant ... ;) Duh!

joanne lendaro said...

That is such a cool setting!! LOVE IT!! YOU are SO TALENTED!! I have several of the LQS BOM's...ugh!

LC said...

How cool. Thanks for sharing this - I am going to save it for some quilt blocks that are sitting in my "UFO - I don't know" pile!

Julie said...

What a great setting for those blocks! It really helps enhance them.