Friday, November 27, 2009

random thoughts... too much tryptophan?

First up -- a photo of one of my first quilts! This was from about 2002 and the pattern came from Sandy Bonsib's "Folk Art Quilts" book. I've made quite a few of these hearts since then, for various little projects -- they're made of 1" squares. I really love this, and since I'd never posted it before I thought -- why not?

Question of the day, apropos of nothing: Do any of you have a Wii? Do you use Wii fitness? Do you like it? Does it get used more often than, say, an exercycle or a treadmill? Just asking...


More stuff from the design wall. These are assorted blocks from Susan Briscoe's Japanese Blocks book. I have a small bin of Asian-type fabrics that I want to use up (or in some cases, just cut into!) so I cut out the pieces for 12 - 9" blocks and started putting them together for a sampler. I'm planning to make a bento box quilt from a lot of what's left...These are blocks for a disappearing 9-patch, meant to use up some bright scraps. I've been rearranging square to try to even things out, and I notice that there are a couple more that might need to be moved before I sew this together!

We had a nice dinner with friends last night -- I cooked most of it -- and now there will be several meals of leftovers and a freezer full of turkey stock. I bought a kosher turkey, which stayed very moist but came without the giblets so the gravy was lacking a bit. Excellent Brussels sprouts, too -- the recipe came from the NY Times -- with bacon and dried figs. Yummy!

Coming soon -- a picture of the quilt I just got back from being quilted by Margaret, and maybe some knitting.

5 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

A LOT of us have one of those little hearts blocks around. Tooooo cute!

Libby Fife said...

I love that border on the heart quilt.

No Wii here or however you spell that. We are hopelessly boring I am sure!

jovaliquilts said...

I used a Wii when we babysat for a friend's new baby and it was a blast. I don't know how often I'd use it if I had it, but I might ...it really was fun.
I have squares cut for the same heart! And your D9P is a great scrappy one. I guess that as long as there's a consistency in the square that becomes 4 little ones (must be the center square), it pulls everything together.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

We got a Wii after we tried it out at our friends' house. We didn't get anything but the basic Wii and a total of two controllers and the nunchuks. It came with Wii Sport. Our favorite game is tennis. But you can get quite a workout with the boxing.

Now for how often we play it, we go in spurts. I less than my husband, but there are periods when he'll come home and play the more advanced tennis game that he bought - weeks in a row.

I need to get back into it. I'm not sure about the Wii Fit since we never bought it.

Susan Briscoe said...

Nice versions of blocks from the "Japanese Quilt Blocks Book", especially the green one (love that fabric combination!) I'm working on the follow up to that book right now...