Monday, November 09, 2009

bad yarn

Do you know what this is? It's the (aaargh!) crap yarn that I'm using for a pair of socks that is 3/5 done. The first ball went fine except for maybe one shredded spot that I ignored. The second ball... I'll be knitting along and all of a sudden the yarn ends. Because it's just broken. And then there's a whole series of these shreddy spots. I haven't seen any moth larva, and I haven't had issues with moths on any of the other yarn in my closet.

So, yarn mavens out there -- is this moth damage or just a really bad ball of yarn? Why didn't it break when I was winding into the ball? Have you ever had this happen?

By the way, it's Louet Gems, 100% washable wool. For some reason, I've now lost interest in finishing this pair...

8 comments:

Di said...

Looks like you got a batch of old wool there. I've had that happen to me and I ended up tossing the whole lot. Could be mothes, but w/o seeing it up close and personal, I can't say for sure. Extreme bummer.

From a former production knitter...

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Oh, phooey! I'm not a knitter but if I were, this would rile me no end! No wonder you've lost interest.

WV: stscagat -- the sound of yarn breaking

The Calico Cat said...

For some reason, huh? Sorry I can offer no information. I just have a hunch about your reason...

ma smalls said...

You know that bugs always interest me! If there were insects in the mix, you'd see "stuff" = frass and dusty bits, exoskeletons and winged thingies! The socks could still be great, though!

Libby Fife said...

Well, clearly you need to go shopping and what's wrong with that?:):)

Cindy said...

do you have any of those asian beetles around? Look sort of like lady bugs, but orange/brown in color?
the love wool -
I had cones of wool yarn, and all are ruined, and it was from the beetles.

Lucette said...

This is bad news. I would get it out of the house and away from anything with wool (clothing rugs etc) right away.

DPUTiger said...

It doesn't look like bugs to me, but it's impossible to tell from photos. I agree with MaSmalls.

Looks to me like a spot in the hank had a close encounter of the razorblade (rotary cutter?) kind. I'd bet that winding the hank put a little stress on the weak spots and they gave up when you got to them the next time around.

That sucks about your socks. I even like the yarn colors!