Saturday, October 17, 2009

PIQF Report

My plan to go to PIQF on Friday to avoid the Saturday crowds sort of backfired! It was jammed yesterday, and often hard to see (and photograph) the quilts. Overall I thought the show was a good one -- although I did have some "what were they thinking when they juried this in?" moments. Quilts still tend to be more heavily quilted than I like, and there's the increasing trend of "paint the fabric and then stitch it" rather than doing any piecing. I still like pieced quilts better!

Here are just a few of my favorites:
Habitat in the Sun, by Morag Orr-Stevens of Canada (65" x 67")
Parasol, by Liz Jones of the UK (39" square)
Not Even Solomon... by Ruth de Vos of Australia (71" x 58")
Storm Warning, by Shirley Prakke of South Africa (50"x55")
here's a close-up of one of the rows of tiny houses and a mola-style applique; there are words embroidered in the darker red strips
Marshland, by Lynda Christiansen of Eugene, OR (32" square)

I managed to spend practically nothing at the fabric vendors, but I did do some damage to my wallet on the scrumptious box of yarn:
It came with a pattern for a short-sleeved cardigan knitted in random vertical stripes of the various yarns. I can't wait to get started on this!

And, I did have a chance to meet up with Libby briefly -- we live pretty close together and have been blog-friends for a while but never managed to connect in person before.

9 comments:

Sue H said...

Fabulous quilts, but my favorite is your box of yarn -- better than a box of Godiva chocolates! Can't wait to see the sweater develop.

DPUTiger said...

Holy Guacamole! I'm also totally in love with that box of yarn. Can't wait to see the sweater start to take shape!

Kay said...

Interesting quilts, and amen to your comment about painted and heavily quilted quilts.

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks so much for the photos! Wonderful quilts; I especially love the Marsh Grass one -- very inventive and artistic, but also very quilty. Lovely. Your yarns look scrumptious, too.

Libby Fife said...

I saw that yarn and passed it up! Fool! Sorry we got separated:( I never made it over to many of the other exhibits and was exhausted by the time I got home.

I agree with you that there was a ton of stitching and process work also. Just a lot really

imquilternity said...

Those quilts are really gorgeous...I can see why they were your favorites! I had planned to attend PIQF, but they were changed at the last minute. Sounds like I missed a wonderful show!

Darcie said...

Oooh! Love the yarn purchase! We'll see some in-progress photos, I hope? ;-)

Marshland speaks to me. I think I could stare into it all day. Thanks for sharing all the pics with us!

LC said...

You picked what likely would have been my favorites too! Even the yarn!!

paula, the quilter said...

One of these years I will get to PIQF, but until then I'll live vicariously through online. That yarn is absolutely luscious. Thanks for visiting my blog, Jane, and entering the drawing for the Kaffe Fassett fabrics.