Monday, September 21, 2009

Home for real...

Well it was a fairly uneventful week away in Wisconsin with the assorted in-laws... absolutely no quilty content to report on! Most of the time was spent just outside Wisconsin Dells -- thankfully after the main tourist season. The trees around our townhouse were full of birds, but I only managed to catch this one on film. We don't have red-headed woodpeckers in California, so it was a treat to see. There were a ton of blueish little birds around the golf course when I was walking there one evening. Were they bluebirds? Is anything else small and blue?
(edited to add -- not bluebirds, since they had no red on them. I should know, since I was a Bluebird when I was a little girl, and had to wear a silly red vest!)
We took my MIL on a boat tour of the Upper Dells one day. The Dells are a narrow part of the Wisconsin River with a particular kind of sandstone (Potsdam, I believe) that erodes in interesting ways. Here' s a spot where we stopped and walked in a little ways; that's someone's head at the bottom of the photo!
A nice little spot on the river...
I found this amusing: it was at the hotel we stayed at for a couple of nights in Madison. I've never seen pillows arranged this way before -- they were awful, bouncy foam pillows, too, so as soon as you touched them they ended up on the floor.
My MIL had bought a serger about three years ago that she never touched, so we brought it up to the Dells with us so that I could teach her how to use it -- no mean feat, since I had never used a serger before! Only trouble is that now I'm sort of thinking it would be fun to have one myself... although I haven't completely convinced myself. If I do succumb to the urge, I would probably want to get one of the less expensive ones (I'm not afraid of threading it!) rather than a Babylock. Do any of my faithful readers (LOL) own and use a serger? Comments?


11 comments:

Exuberant Color said...

I have a Babylock air jet threading serger. I had a less expensive model before and it would take me over 20 minutes to get it threaded right and working. Now I can thread in a couple minutes. Now I actually use my serger and don't mind changing threads.

I don't think there are bluebirds in WI. The indigo bunting is one that is bright blue and small. The blue jays are larger and have a pattern of gray and white feathers on their tails.

Julie in the Barn said...

Well, I have a serger but it's an ancient Bernina 3 thread. Hubby bought it for me in the 80's when I sewed lots of garments. It takes me about 15 minutes to thread it so I'm careful to knot a new spool of thread onto the end before it actually runs out so I can pull it through. I don't use it too often anymore.

I always wondered what The Dells was all about. Now I know. Thanks for the pics.

Joyce said...

I am on my second serger. The first was an Elna and was hard to thread but wonderful once it was done. I upgraded to to the Babylock self threading one. I used it a lot when I sewed garments but now that I am quilting I use it much less. If I had known how quilting was going to take over my life I might have stayed with the first serger and bought my midarm Pfaff quilting machine and frame sooner.

Libby Fife said...

Fellow Bluebirds unite! Did you go on to Camp Fire Girls also?

Beautiful photos but those pillows? What is that about I wonder?

Glad you are home safe and sound:)

Elaine Adair said...

I have not seen the Dells for more than 50 years, yet I KNEW/REcognized the photos right away. How interesting! They are lovely and I hope to return one day. 8-)))

Nope, no serger - don't want one.

Vicki W said...

Beautiful photos and that's the weirdest pillow arrangement ever. A creative housekeeper I suppose!

I am on my 3rd serger and I love it. I loved all of them! This one is the Babylock Evolve with the self-threader. Since I don't sew garments anymore, If I were buying now I'd buy a lesser model but I still need a serger and wouldn't be without it!

paula, the quilter said...

I still own and use my original White serger from the 1980s. It is a basic model with no differential feed. I love it. Last time I had it in for a tune up, the tech said that someone wanted to buy it when they saw it on the shelf. Nope, not going to sell my old workhorse.

Pokey Davis said...

Lovely scenery, odd pillows. Hi, Julie, I love having a serger, it is a great seam finisher on alot of projects. Last night, I used it on a shopping bag I was making. Mine is a Bernina 2000 DE, my bff has had a White, a Juki (I think) and now a Pfaff. The threading can be a bit tricky, but it is a machine I love having nearby.

Lucette said...

I enjoyed lingering over your photos, looks like a wonderful trip.
Can't help with the serger unfortunately. Over the summer I bought a vintage 1940s sewing machine though. Now I have to get it going.

gloria g said...

Love a serger. Had a Bernina 700 D for about 5 years. A friend wanted to buy it, so I did. Bought another one just like it. Love it. Couldn't be without it!

The photos are great!

DPUTiger said...

I have a Viking 936 serger that I got as a GREAT deal at my LQS during a special sale. They are tricky little buggers, but they certainly come in handy! I tend to use mine for pillowcases, edging polar fleece blankets and piecing quilt backings.

My LQS offered a "serger basics" class where we threaded our machine several times and completed a 40-example 3-ring binder full of samples. If I hadn't taken that class and didn't have that binder to refer to, I'd probably be too intimidated to pull the thing out, but it's very good at its job.