Monday, September 07, 2009

happy labor day

It's great to come home from a trip and have a 3-day weekend still in front of you! Too bad it's the 3rd day already...

Here's a picture of my main collage project from Asilomar -- this was before all the stitching was done and before it was washed. I'll post another picture when it's finished off with embellishments, but that will probably be towards the end of the month. DH and I are heading to Wisconsin on Saturday for a visit with his family for a week or so, in Madison and at the Dells.
This is a close-up of the sheep in my sample piece that I showed in the last post. All the animals and plants in the piece were fabrics I bought in New Zealand last fall.A little of the wildlife at Asilomar -- Mom seemed a little wary of the people standing around, but not wary enough to take a different route through the park with her fawns!
We went in to Pacific Grove a couple of times -- there is an excellent quilt shop (BackPorch Quilts) and a great yarn store (Monarch Knits). In addition, this whale of a sculpture in front of the local museum, along with my sister!

4 comments:

Libby Fife said...

The collage turned out well. It almost seems like a jig saw puzzle that you put together-all the pieces really work well!

That is one big whale!

Kay said...

I like the way you put the collage together, and it gives it meaning that the fabric came from a trip. Sounds like a very fun class.

Purple Pam said...

Asilomar is beautiful, isn't it? It is so rural feeling and so close to the beach. I like Back Porch Fabrics, too. Your collage is wonderful. Am anxious to see the finished product. Glad you had a good time.

imquilternity said...

Your collage is beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished quilt. I've only been to Asilomar once, but it was so much fun. We took Kathy Sandbach's machine quilting class.