Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I'm still here, and I have a design wall...

It's been a while but I've been plugging away at things! Saturday was the Faith Fancher Breast Cancer walk at Lake Merritt. Faith was a news anchor on one of the local stations and she lost a long and fairly public battle with breast cancer a few years ago. A group of her friends and colleagues formed a non-profit called "Friends of Faith" to raise money for medical services for women without other options -- this was the fifth annual walk and I've done four of them. Lake Merritt is a little more than 3 miles around and it's quite pretty! Near the beginning of the walk I had to stop and snap a picture of these white pelicans; I don't usually see them in the lake.
The walk always starts with a procession of women on Harleys...I finished my 2-at-a-time socks last night. Actually, I switched to one-at-a-time after the heels were done. Not at all happy with the wierd way the yarn pooled up the legs! (It's Aussi Sock in the Spanish Fiesta colorway)
And... what's on my wall? First is a little quilt top from a Schnibbles pattern called "Scratch"; I keep hoping to use up my relatively small stash of novelty fabrics, but somehow they never seem to diminish! I spent some time on Sunday cutting strips for three more scrappy baby quilts but again, it didn't seem to make much difference on the shelf.
These are some blocks I made last year with one of my quilt groups. We challenged each other to use neutrals but I decided to throw in a little bit of the teal. Then last week I saw the perfect border fabric while surfing online -- it's from Windham's "all that jazz" line. I think I might add a little sizzle strip between the neutrals and the border... what do you think?
and finally -- this is a little bit of fun from a couple of years ago when my seester was visiting and gave us a lesson in creating embellished fabric.
I hung it back up on the wall because a) she's arriving from Tasmania tomorrow and b) this weekend we're heading off to Empty Spools seminars at Asilomar where I will take a 5-day class with Rosemary Eichorn on collage and embellishment! I'm taking my camera and will try to remember to use it.

10 comments:

Renate said...

Your "Schnibble-Quilt" looks very beautiful! A very good idea to use up scraps.
Renate

Andrea said...

I agree that border fabric is just the job. Your little schnibbles quilt is very sweet.

Joyce said...

I like the neutral quilt (and I'm not much for neutrals). I think a sizzle strip would be a good idea. What about some of that bright turquoise?

Libby Fife said...

All great successes there.

Have fun at Asilomar (I am way envious) and I look forward to the photos:)

DPUTiger said...

Asilomar is totally on my "Bucket LIst." Have a wonderful time, and if you want, I'll trade you sock yarn for novelty fabric! I seem to be making way more baby quilts than anything else these days!

Kay said...

I am beyond envious of that class and the place! Looking forward to the pictures.

Debra said...

Ditto on the class. I have Rosemary's book and have worked through the ideas but you have to have alot of large scale prints which I don't have for it to work well. Enjoy and let us know what you learn!

Really like both of your quilts too.

HB said...

That border fabric looks like it was made for your quilt - beautiful!! The pooling on the socks is a littel strange but the colors are still quite nice!

Darcie said...

Oooh! I cannot wait to hear about Asilomar!!!

I love the jazzy teal with the neutrals. It's a lovely accent...yet not overpowering at all. Good choice, Julie!

Kristina said...

I really like the pooling in the socks. It makes me think of lightning and electricity!