Saturday, August 15, 2009

charity first...

A while ago I posted a picture of this little quilt before it was quite finished -- it has now been sent off to Priority: Alzheimers, and will appear one of these days on the auction or in Houston.

I made another one to try out a method of making these little "salt box" triangle & square combinations and it's been mailed off, too. Both of these measure about 8" x 10".
And, here's another project for those of you with "excess stash syndrome" and $12 to spend: it's called Iraqi Bundles of Love and it's sponsored by Kristin LaFlamme's husband who is stationed in Iraq. Find a large flat-rate priority mailing box, and some ribbon.
Place a large-ish piece of fabric on top of the ribbon -- this will act like wrapping paper. Fill the box with fabric, thread, and other sewing stuff (or yarn),
and then wrap it all up and tie with the ribbons.
It costs $11.95 to mail to Art's APO address. He and his group will distribute these bundles to local women who definitely aren't receiving these supplies from anyone else! My bundle was mailed off yesterday...

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Love your mini quilts! Mini's are my favorite. That's awesome that you are sending fabric to Iraq...I'm sure a quilter over there will be very blessed to receive it!

Debra said...

Great gestures for all concerned!

Libby Fife said...

I never get tired of thatred mini quilt. The new blue one looks good too:)

Kay said...

I like those mini quilts very much; they're deceptively simple. And as for the fabric package--I may do that; have to give it some thought. I'd never even miss it. Isn't that terrible?

imquilternity said...

How generous of you...I'm going to do the very same thing! Thanks for the info.

katelnorth said...

I've seen this on several blogs - what a nice idea. If I were in the US, you know I'd be doing this straight away...

Carol E. said...

I sent off my IBOL yesterday! So fun I want to do it again!

Violette Severin said...

Loved the packing tutorial. I am lousy at packing and need the tips.

Lucette said...

Hi Julie,
thanks for your comment, it really made me laugh. And what a great idea to send off packages of quilting materials.

ma smalls said...

Hey! I sent off 2 IBOL's today...one from me and one from people at my school. It was a meditative exercise to fill the box.

Sassenach said...

I was in the process of doing a serious clearing out of my sewing room when I heard about IBOL -- I packed six boxes last night!

It's so much easier to let stuff go when you can imagine the joy it's going to bring to others.