Friday, July 31, 2009

Scammed!

A couple of weeks ago I had a call from my credit card company, wanting to verify a few small charges on my account... the largest was only about $5.95 but they had tripped somebody's switch -- and I hadn't made any of the purchases.

Turns out there is a whole online industry that thrives on stolen credit card information and the fact that a lot of people don't pay close attention to their bills. The small charges are "shipping and handling" for free samples of questionable products, but then you're automatically enrolled for a monthly shipment at a much higher price. As I understand it, if you don't catch these things at the very beginning it can take a lot of hassle to deal with them later!

So, my credit card was immediately canceled and reissued with a different number, and the charges were removed from my account. The scammers can send me whatever they want, but they won't get paid, and I don't have to send anything back. Thanks -- Capital One -- for covering my butt!

Anyhow -- since then, I've received four parcels in the mail. One of them was actually express mail from China! My scammer swag is pictured up above -- I will give away any or all of this if anyone wants it.

Acai, Green Tea and caffeine supplement -- no idea what it's supposed to do -- "do not take after 5 pm"

7-hour slumber - sleep enhancement supplement (maybe you need this after the acai?)

Guarana PURE - natural weight loss supplement -- this is the one that was shipped from China; after all the uproar about "stuff" added to food products in China, I definitely want to pass on this one...)

Amino Genesis - face lift in a capsule -- I might actually try this one; I think it's just some kind of moisurizer packaged in little bath-bead things.

I've been feeling very lethargic about quilting for the last few days -- haven't touched the machine since I got back from Long Beach, actually. One of my little groups is meeting tomorrow afternoon, though (and yikes! just remembered I'm supposed to bring a salad!) so I better get back in the game.

5 comments:

Quilt Pixie said...

getting a new credit card is a pain, but much less of one than dealing with unwarrented charges! :-) you're being nice accepting delivery of the stuff -- I'd "return to sender" so they have that extra expense too...

HB said...

Wow - now I will be watching by statements a lot closer. And thanks but no thanks on the swag - who knows what is in there!

Now if it was fabric or yarn.....we'd be talking : - )

Elaine Adair said...

Oh dang it! I have heard you should not open the packages, and return them. If they are opened, you must pay, but I don't know how that works when scammed. I CERTAINLY would NOT pay for anything with a check!

Acacia? That product is all over my junk mail folder - 100s of them! Sorry you had to deal with this.

katelnorth said...

do not take after 5pm, eh? but what if you want to pull an all-nighter, like we used to do in college?

Becky said...

I saw your post and had to comment. Our bank card has been hit twice and credit card once. It is such a HUGE hassle. I'm now all over watching the accounts to make sure that nothing extra is hitting. At least you got something in the mail. We have yet to receive anything from any of the businesses that were happy to take our credit card. Oh well.