Friday, July 03, 2009

my day at the fair (Piggies!)

The 4-H animals hadn't arrived in Pleasanton yet but thankfully there was a little farm exhibit set up so I got my piggie experience after all! Here's one of the two moms with her 4-day-old piglets.and this little piggie decided he needed some "space" away from the crowd!
Here's the other litter... aren't these the cutest things? I really wish I could have picked one up to play with.
Okay, enough pigs -- I know you're here to see some quilts!

This is one of Libby's -- the stitching is beautiful up close! You'll notice that it has a "2nd place" sticker on the tag... the judges at this fair seem to be strongly biased towards traditional quilts with hand-quilting.
I'm a big fan of samplers and I thought this one was beautifully done -- it was made by a group at a local hospital. Someone did a lot of work to figure out how to make all these blocks fit together; the little filler blocks were a nice touch!
This quilt was made from 1,840 little tiny bow-tie blocks -- I think they were about 1.5" x 2.5" each.
There was a sunflower-themed display at the entrance to the fiber arts (and canned foods) hall -- this quilt is called "State Fair" and it's in "101 Fabulous Rotary Cut Quilts" by Judy Hopkins and Nancy Martin -- a wonderful classic!
here's Kristi modeling proper roasted-corn-eating posture! I don't think she knew she was gonna get the 10 seconds of fame here on the blog when she posed for this.
and I leave you with this... it is a giant papier-mache jelly donut... just proving that you can find pretty much every possible type of arts & crafts at a county fair!

6 comments:

Quilt Pixie said...

looks like there was lots to see and do at the fair :-) Thanks for letting us tag along

Libby Fife said...

Jelly donut? What is the Kennedy line? Thanks for the photos and the mention of my quilt. I wouldn't have known had you not shown it-I won't be going until next week. Loved the piggies too. That pig mom looked exhausted!

Have a good one.

jovaliquilts said...

I loved looking at the quilts (that first one you showed is a real stunner), but the piggies are my favorite! We have a little farm here in town for kids to come see farm animals each summer, and the piglets are the hit of the show!

Kay said...

Love the piglets! This looks like a good fair. I haven't been to ours for ages, but since the weather is nice for it this week, maybe I will. Fair judges are always partial to traditional, I think.

Miri said...

Thanks so much for the pictures from the fair...I miss going to the fair!

HB said...

I heart the fair! We start "fair season" in about a month in CT - I could go to a different one every weekend! Thanks for taking us along!