Sunday, July 12, 2009

It's a mystery...

Remind me not to do this again! This lily block was for a birthday block swap I've been in for several years now. Somehow this year a few participants have gone over the edge with their requests. A couple months ago there was an ocean waves block with about 50 little HSTs, and this month it's this lily with NINE set-in seams! It's created a bit of a kerfluffle in the group, as someone might say. Despite all that, I took it as a challenge to make the block. I don't have much trouble with the seams but they do take time. And I think this might have cured me of ever wanting to make a lone-star quilt!

To detox from that block, I decided to make a little quilt for the Alzheimers Quilt Project -- I had donated a few when it first started but I know that Ami Simms is looking for more for Houston. This one has a little yellow "flange" before the border, something I'd been wanting to try. It still needs the binding put on.
And - (spoiler!) - I did most of the Planet Patchwork mystery today. It was more work than any other mystery I've done, but the construction was clever and the instructions were very good! The pressing information allowed the whole thing to go together without any lumps or bumps or heavy thinking. And best of all, I used a lot of bits and pieces from the stash!
It's supposed to have a couple of fairly plain borders with a sawtooth border in between; I think it will end up being donated somewhere.

Now off to tidy up the chaos on the dining room table and settle down with a glass of something cold!

9 comments:

Kay said...

I can understand the difficulty with that block, but isn't it pretty. Nice Alz quilts project too. I need to make some of those soon myself.

Libby Fife said...

You are a good sport:) All three items turned out great but I especially like that Alz. quilt. It really works well.

Vicki W said...

The lily block is pretty but I would never pick a complicated block for an exchange. Everyone's skill levels are so different.

HB said...

Your lily block is stunning! I like the rest as well but really love that lily block.

Nancy said...

I'm mightily impressed with your lily block!

Joyce said...

I like the Alz. quilt the best. I want to try one of those flanges too. It's a nice touch.

Julie said...

Love the lily block, nice job on it. What a cool Alz. quilt. I have always had making one of those in the back of my mind for such a great cause. You have inspired me. Cool mystery as well.

Debra said...

If you can do that lily block, you can do a lone star! I believe the lily block is harder.

peggy said...

A kerfluffle? LOL
You did a great job on Linda's block...I will be making a snowman block :)
Peggy