Wednesday, July 29, 2009

isn't it time for a post?


The best part of Long Beach was the class I took, taught by Karen Eckmeier. It was based on her book "Happy Villages", which I bought at last year's show. I decided it would be a good project to do with others since it's easier to not get obsessive about how things are arranged when you're with 40 other people! So-- above is my (unfinished) village. I still need to add a few more stairs and windows, and then stitch around every little piece... see you in a couple of weeks!

Most of the fabrics are commercial hand-dyes from Starr, but the blue sky is one that Joyce sent as trade for some Japanese fabrics. Isn't it perfect?

My friend and I stayed at the Hyatt right next door to the convention center. Much better than last year, when we were at a somewhat tacky place about 2 miles away on a slow tram! The Hyatt managed to overbook and mess up our reservation, but they compensated by cutting the room rate in half and giving us free rein at the breakfast buffet for two days. More shopping!

There are quite a few photos available at the Quilts.com website -- and a lot of the exhibits were marked "no photography" anyway -- but here are four of my favorite quilts:

First up is probably my absolute favorite. It's "Chickadee Spring" by Cynthia St. Charles. She photographed the birds and printed them on fabric, and then pieced the quilt.
Here's a detail:
Next up is "Three Guinea Fowl" by Pamela Allen. I love the whimsicality of this!
There's a bird theme going on here... this is "Red Owls" by Karin Pierce. It reminds me of Inuit art,
Finally -- no more birds -- this is "Summer Rain" by Ludmila Aristova. The rain effect is done with stitching and it is lovely in person.
Tonight I started a "two at a time" socks class and I have lots of homework (about 8"!) to do for next week, so I think I'll go park in front of the tv for the news and see if I can get another inch done.

10 comments:

Dianne said...

Hey, Julie, your village quilt is really looking great. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

How are you finding the two socks at once? I tried it a couple of times, but finally gave it up. My needles were too long and got hopelessly tangled. Maybe I'll try again sometime with 16s or 24s...

Joyce said...

I'm happy that you were able to use some of the hand dyed fabric. I'm still fondling the ones you sent me.

Libby Fife said...

Your village quilt turned out great! Can I go on vacation there? LOL!

The pics look good and I definetely like the bird theme.

Debra said...

I just came across Cynthis'a quilt on her blog (I believe). It's very cute! It does seem like birds are on everyone's mind.

Very cool village--reminds me of your other house piece.

paula, the quilter said...

Tanya, over at Taniwa just had a couple young girls do that pattern. It looks like fun. Are you knitting the 2@atime socks on one long circ needle using the magic loop or 2 shorter circ needles? I have found I am much faster using dpns. But when I have a certain amount of yarn I do the 2@atime method so both socks are the same length and I can run out of yarn at the same time. *grin*

Miri said...

Cute village quilt...great fabrics!

Thanks for sharing the pix from the show...great quilts-do like the bird theme!

Kay said...

Those are wonderful quilts, including yours! I love what she did with those birds.

katelnorth said...

love your village quilt - will look forward to seeing it progress. thanks for sharing the photos of other quiilts - almost (but not quite) like going to the show myself...

gloria g said...

I just love those Red Owls. Wish there was a pattern!

happy zombie said...

I'm madly in love with your village!!!!