Friday, July 10, 2009

Fade to Black

I can finally cross another UFO off my list! This is called Fade to Black and it is based on a pattern from Sara Nephew's Big Book of Building Block Quilts. Five of us in a mini-group started these a couple of years ago and I think I'm the last to finish. I wish I had photos of the rest of them because (of course) they all ended up looking quite different! Here is the top that Kuniyo made -- she upended some of the cubes for an interesting effect.And, my Spring Fling Round Robin 3 is going in the mail tomorrow -- here's a sneak peek:
Not my usual color palette but it was fun to work on. I did a lot of straight-line quilting and I think it worked well. I'll post a whole picture when the recipient receives it.

Is anyone else doing the Planet Patchwork mystery on Sunday? It sounds like it could use up a lot of odds & ends -- 9" squares of mediums and darks in one color family and a bunch of FQs of lights. I'm planning to do a little rooting around tomorrow morning to see if I can find everything I need in the stash.

5 comments:

Libby Fife said...

I love those dimensional quilts! Great eefects thatyou can't even imagine until they pop out.

The colors in your round robin quilt look very beach-like:)

Libby Fife said...

bad typing! I of course meant great effects that you, etc...paring

Nancy said...

LOVE your quilt, Julie. I've been fascinated by the 3d quilts and perhaps someday will try....

WV: taporemi, a small animal similar to an ant-eater, but with webbed feet

Vicki W said...

I love these quilts. I've always wanted to make one......someday.

Kay said...

Sharp looking quilt! Those dimensional quilts are so dramatic. I made a similar pattern for the Hoffman challenge several years ago. It always gets lots of attention as people try to figure it out.