Wednesday, June 10, 2009

old and new


This quilt was made by the grandmother-in-law of one of my business partners, and when we set up our new little office last summer, she started talking about how nice it would be to hang it in our "conference room". I had a couple of small quilts of mine hanging in the other room, which we share as an office. Eventually I picked up the quilt at her house, and sewed a hanging sleeve on the back, and then it sat for months while we a) tried to figure out how to hang it without ripping big holes in the wallboard, 'cause it weighs a ton and b) waited for one of the husbands to come and help.

Recently, she and her DH have been shuttling back & forth across the country dealing with aging parent health issues (and a funeral) and I decided to take matters into my own hands! I have to give credit to my DH for the inspiration to create a frame to hang it from, but I did it all myself -- very easy, actually, except for wrestling all that fabric around and trying to keep the frame upright while screwing the little brackets into the wall.

Of course I got a big teary hug when she saw it on Monday... and it's situated where she can see it when she's sitting at her desk. It's all made by hand, a little wonky, with some interesting jacquard bedspread material on the back and wrapped around to the front instead of binding.
And the new: I finally put the last border on my Shakespeare in the Park top. This is too big for me to quilt so it will be next up to send off for some swirly stitching!


18 comments:

Nancy said...

Your SITP is terrific, Julie. I like it so much. I have all the fabrics for mine. I wonder when I'll get it started!

Kathie said...

you did a wonderful job on your SITP
beautiful
oh love that antique quilt
what a nice idea to hang it in a meeting room
I know what you will be doing!
staring at that quilt!
Kathie

Vicki W said...

How nice to have quilts hanging in the office and your SITP is beautiful!

Suzanne Earley said...

yummy SITP. just yummy. but then, i'm partial to red...

great antique quilt, too!

Barb said...

Love your SITP ~ It looks so magical ~ just as SITP would be. Wonderful job.

Julie said...

What a wonderful thing to do, hanging the quilt and a great idea for hanging also. Your SITP is fabulous! Love how dramatic it looks.

Libby Fife said...

Both quilts are wonderful, each in their own way:)

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Beautiful job on your SITP! Wow, it must be so nice to walk into a conference room and see that lovely quilt. I've always wondered about hanging the older and heavier quilts. I'd like to see someone do an experiment of sewing on three hanging sleeves - top, bottom and middle. I wonder if it would help to evenly support all the weight?

HB said...

How sweet! Quilts are meant to be loved!

jovaliquilts said...

What a lovely story about the quilt in your office -- and a stroke of brilliance to hang it that way. I'll have to remember that one. And your SiTP -- WOW!! Awesome job.

Shasta said...

Your sitp is beautiful! Great colors.

Sue H said...

Love your red SITP! Gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I see we have a lot in common -- even socks!

Miri said...

Brilliant hanging solution!

Swirly quilting will look so great on your quilt!

Our computer woes are finally over and I'm back visiting! Yippee! and I'm having a 100th post give-away!: a mini-quilt/pillow!

Michelle said...

Love your SITP quilt. It's awesome and the colors are beautiful!

Melinda said...

The antique quilt looks great hanging. I am sure it adds a lot to the office decor. I love your red SITP. It is on my list to make some day and it is encouraging to see such a beautiful on finished. I can't wait to see it quilted.

Morah said...

LOVE SITP and yours is fab!

Debra said...

If you don't already have a quilter in mind, I can recommend one to you for your SITP.

Bravo to you for getting that antique quilt hung! Very lively and bright!

peggy said...

Julie,
I love your Shakespere in the Park quilt....I'm not a pink person but this one is striking!
And, how nice is that to hang your co workers's antique quilt for everyone to share....nicey!
Peggy