Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Now -- in 3D!

I finally finished the last birthday block in this series -- seems like it's been going on forever! Kate asked for a block with "a substantial 3D element". My first inclination was to crumple up a piece of fabric and stitch it down on another piece of flat fabric... and I might still try that... but then I remembered that I had two of Rebecca Wat's fabric folding books that I had never really cracked open. So, here's a photo where the color is pretty much correct,and here's a photo with no flash and slightly out of focus, but you can see the texture
The stars are from one of the books -- I'm pretty good at origami but this was something else! And the folded ridges were something that I remember one of my local quilt friends doing a few years ago (hi Kathy!)

And since I had 3D on the brain, I decided to try these circle socks:
The texture part is just on the legs; the rest will be plain. I'm using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock for the first time, and the color changes are pretty amazing! The pattern is available on Ravelry.

Finally, Bucky celebrated the solstice by bringing in a friend.
A little hard to see on the rug, but it's a lizard about 7-8" long. A very frisky lizard, I might add. I trapped it under a wastebasket and called the DH to "do something"! He took it somewhere out in the garden, still very much alive.

6 comments:

miniaturequilter said...

Love the circle sock, have noo idea how to do that but it looks fun!

jovaliquilts said...

Those ridges are great -- love the effect. I made some fabric origami flowers in a quilt last year from one of Watt's books. Good directions, fun, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.

katelnorth said...

ooh, nice ridges - can't wait to see it in person where I can get both the colour and the texture! Would be very interested in seeing what happens when you crumple a piece of fabric and stitch it down to another - may have to try that myself...

katelnorth said...

ooh, nice ridges - can't wait to see it in person where I can get both the colour and the texture! Would be very interested in seeing what happens when you crumple a piece of fabric and stitch it down to another - may have to try that myself...

Libby Fife said...

Bucky is a stud! Husbands are made for that sort of job.

Love the effects you got with the fabric folding-you sure have a lot of patience and lucky thing too:) With those colors and folds I think of the ocean.

Morah said...

I really like 3-D blocks. I've wanted to try it for a long time. Yours looks good!

Your lizard cracks me up. We once had a gecko in the house. My daughter and I chased it around trying to trap it under a cup. Finally, she whap! Drops that cup down on the gecko and "OOOHHH MOM!!! I CHOPPED IT'S HEAD OFF!
It was so sad....well and funny. We tried to hard to be humane and here we chop off the poor things head.