Saturday, June 06, 2009

did you get tagged?

In the last few days I've received a half dozen emails telling me that someone has tagged me to look at their photos, and I must click yes or no or risk offending them terribly. I hope no one's offended, but I deleted all of the messages! A couple were from people I didn't even know... I did a little googling around and discovered that tagged.com bills itself as a social networking site like facebook, but basically it's just a big spam machine. As soon as you sign in, it hijacks your address book and starts sending emails to everyone. (They do offer a link to block all emails from tagged.com to your address -- I was hesitant about clicking because it seemed like it might just be another scam -- but I went ahead and clicked. Since then I haven't received any more of these...)
I am determined to figure out how to take photos that are in focus! I have a CanonA560, and it's supposed to focus automatically, but I'm about ready to trade it in for something more "manual". I know the thing about holding the shutter button down partway to get it to focus, but everything still comes out a bit fuzzy. Anyway, I wandered around the front yard this afternoon taking random pictures and the kangaroo paws above were the best. I do like that you can see the fuzzy texture of the red buds.
I finished putting together the log cabin top, and I really like it-- in fact I think this one will actually get quilted pretty soon. The group is planning to start up another "robin" in August so I'm thinking about what my next starting row will look like...
Finally -- another knitty finish! It's funny how the variegation in the yarn played out so differently in each sock, don't you think? These are the basketweave rib pattern from Charlene Schurch, and they worked up pretty quickly (for me, anyway -- a couple of months)

9 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

It's really hard to get good focus with a digital camera because of the lag time. I got a tiny tripod for Christmas but haven't had the patience to work with it.
Love the way your quilt turned out!

Diana said...

I started using a tripod and it made a big difference. My husband also uses the tripod and then sets the timer for a few seconds so that no one is pushing on the camera when it takes the picture (and thus jiggling it) and that seems to help too. I love those socks!

Quilt Pixie said...

thanks for the info re tagged.... I got an email, googled the person it was supposed to be from, and ended up seeing their pics on flicker through a link there, so didn't bother responding to the email, just deleted it. I'll keep my eye's open thoguh :-)

Violette Severin said...

I had no idea that tagged.com was a spam machine. I got a few emails at work and opened them because I recognized the name of the person who sent it. However, when I clicked to open the message I got a blank screen. I haven't had too much spam so I hope that is the end of it.

Suzanne Earley said...

cute socks, but it is interesting how the yarn ended up so different from sock to sock.

Elaine Adair said...

Yes, I was tagged about 5 times in one day, so right away I knew somehting was fishy. Hope all is well.

Libby Fife said...

The quilt looks great! Funny how sashing can really pull blocks together.

I feel for you on the picture taking. My photos stink! The only good part is that I can preview them and delete them instead of having to pay to have them printed.

Have a good one!
PS-Love those socks. I wear Birks you know...

Exuberant Color said...

The thing about tagged is they want you to open an account and they ask for your birthdate. I'm sure that is to see if you are over 18 but anyone stealing your identity needs it too so I was suspicious and didn't sign up.

HB said...

yes - I got the same e-mails and deleted them - glad I was right.