Sunday, March 01, 2009

My Day With the Queen

The Queen of Blogland, that is! I had a couple of days to play in London after my trip to Barcelona, and Helen graciously gave up a day of work to come down to the city and wander with me. We started out at a wonderful market on the south bank -- if I lived in the area I'd be there at least 3 times a week! Look at the colors in these artichokes...
and how beautiful the garlic is...
Here's a sight you won't find in any American markets I know of...
We topped off the day by meeting up with Kate and her mom, Kathy for a Turkish dinner. Kathy took a photo on each of our cameras -- here (left to right) are Helen, me, and Kate. It was terrific to meet up with these quilt/blog legends in person! As you may have noticed, I try to do this whenever I have a chance.I spent the next day dawdling around a bit. Outside the Victoria & Albert Museum I ran across this truck -- can anyone tell me what these giant ear-trumpets are for?My favorite parts of the V&A collection are the fashions, the musical instruments (unfortunately the room is only open occasionally and I didn't hit the right day) and the stitchery. It's difficult to take photos because almost everything is behind glass -- but I did like the graphics in these iron gates that were propped against the wall in one of the rooms. There is a ton of ironwork to look at. There was also an exhibit of hats that had just opened -- no cameras allowed -- it was pretty interesting but so crowded that I couldn't really enjoy it.

Now for a little quilty stuff: Here is the little table-runner I sent off to distant shores for the 4 Seasons Quilt Swap -- you'll recognize this as the squares I was playing with on the blog a few weeks ago.
And here is the fab quilt I received from April for the same swap. I had specified a fall quilt with either red or gold, and I love the result. Don't you see swirly fall leaves in the quilting? Thanks again, April!
Now I'm off to unpack my suitcase, pick fabrics for the last two Friday block party blocks and a couple of birthday blocks, and (ugh) finish gathering up stuff for the accountant to do our taxes.

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

It sounds like you all had a great visit! The thing I miss most from my trips to London were all the visits to the V&A.

Kathy said...

I really enjoyed meeting you and Helen and chatting at dinner. Sorry you didn't get to see the musical instruments at the V&A. It's very frustrating, I know. I've been waiting years for them to get the pottery section reopened. Hope your trip back to San Fran. is better than the one coming to Europe. I'm heading back to MD tomorrow, providing the snow hasn't closed the airport.

Cascade Lily said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for my Four Seasons table topper - I just love red and your work is lovely. Hope you're enjoying your trip - how exciting!

Libby Fife said...

The trip looks like it was fun. That is a museum that would be great to get to. The table runner and quilt look good-wonderful colors. Glad you are back home safe and sound. Take care.
Libby

The Calico Cat said...

Artichoke purple is a favorite color of mine... I got 1 charm of artichokes in a swap that shows it beautifully...

April M. said...

I'm so glad that you like your quilt!

sophie said...

What a great visit to London you had . . . I'm jealous ;-)

Thanks for visiting my blog and your voice of reason comment. I needed that this morning after the exclamatory appointment lady.

Tracy said...

The quilts are beautiful. What a great swap :)