Friday, March 13, 2009

more choices...

Thanks for all the suggestions for the Amish houses. I wish I didn't feel so completely lazy about piecing the borders for them... I do like the idea of more black & white, so I found a couple of things in the stash that might work, and then I bought this blue/black diamond fabric today at the local "quilters' secret source" (Long's Drugstore) because my nephew told me his favorite color was black, and then blue was second. Here's a better picture:
I also have this "tack" fabric which might make an interesting inner border, in an ironic sort of way...
And then my friend Catherine mentioned that she has some fabric with little houses that might work -- or might be a backing; and maybe I'll spend our Sunday quilting get-together piecing another road to use instead of being so lazy!

I tried and tried to take close-up pictures of my road for Peggy, but the camera will not cooperate and no matter what I try the white blurs out. So -- the straight parts were strip pieced (black/white/black/white) and then cut up and had black borders put on them; the curved pieces were machine applique'd with a narrow zigzag stitch.

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

I like that much better!

Libby Fife said...

That diamond border is a great idea-no need to piece!

Nancy said...

You're reading Bred in the Bone? OMG, I'm such a Robertson Davies freak!

WV:emebogow, what a tongue-tied person says when talking about resuming trade with Cuba

Kay said...

The blue and black looks great--it echoes the geometric look w/o being obvious.

The Calico Cat said...

That border finishes the quilt nicely...

Nicole said...

Or maybe a black and white checkerboard fabric? The quilt is fabulous.

HB said...

Love the quilt & your border choice. I am trying to finish up a Christmas present quilt - from last year! This will be the last quilt gift I hand quilt as I also got a sewing machine for Christmas for me & will learn , after 20 years of hand quilting, how to machine quilt - YEA!