Thursday, March 12, 2009

falling behind and catching up

I've decided that my least favorite part of quilting, other than pin/basting, is assembling blocks into a top. There should be some measure of satisfaction in this, but I just find it soooo tedious. Therefore, I should a) stop participating in block swaps and b) become strictly an art quilter using few, if any, blocks that will need to be sewn into rows... However, it's unlikely that either of those things will happen, so I decided to suck it up and put the Amish houses together!

I think I'm going to do a narrow inner border of the blue cobblestone stuff, but then I need to find something to do for an outer border. I don't have anything in my stash that will work as a single fabric, and it really needs about 12" more all around -- maybe some strip-pieced blocks? Anyone out there with ideas for me? I don't want to do any "fancy" piecing for the border.
What else can I show you... here's my Friday Block Party block for last week. I am having a lot of fun scrounging in the depths of the stash and finding things I had long forgotten about.
And this was last weekend's big project, which is really pretty embarrassing! We have a room that we share as a home office, although neither of us really works from home much at this point. Al's side is always pretty messy, because he never files anything. And my side was getting even worse! So here is "before" on my side of the room. There are two bins of paper relating to the Friends of the Library (it feels like I've been President-for Life, but I found someone to take over in November!) and there's a small bin of stuff for my business, and, and, and...
and here's the "after" shot. I can actually walk around my desk now! I have to confess that the desk itself is still a bit cluttered, but it's definitely better than it was. Please shoot me if I let it get this bad again...

11 comments:

Gina said...

I love the quilt.

Well done on the great tidy up it looks much calmer now.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Joyce said...

What about a black border with the white dots like you have in the middle so it looks like a road all around? Or is that too much piecing? Or maybe you could find some road looking fabric.

The Calico Cat said...

I like the house quilt - maybe another road for the border, or a fence, or flying geese or more trees - or my good ole standby piano key....

Nancy said...

Funny how that spring cleaning urge comes upon us! I've had it, too. Love the Amish houses . . . .

WV: capea, a dreadful vegetable hybrid between a caper and a pea that seemed like SUCH a good idea at the time . . .

Kay said...

That's a terrific quilt!

Debra said...

I was going to suggest piano keys too.

Quilt Pixie said...

yup, sewing so many blocks all the same is hard going for me too :-) My first thought was piano key border, or maybe trees...

peggy said...

Julie, your amish houses are wonderful!! Could you show a close up of the walkway? How did you make that???

Dont you just love before and after shots? Makes you feel good all over to see a neat area.

Peggy

Vicki W said...

I feel like it needs some more of the white carried into the border. Maybe a road border as others suggested or part road and part trees?

Librarynan said...

The houses make a nice quilt. Why is it that when we re almost finished with a quilt (setting it) we are "over it" and almost begin to hate the dratted thing??!! It is realy hard for me to finish even the last few blocks.. I think I'll make smaller quilts! tee hee.

Glad you are back.

katelnorth said...

Yeah, I hate that part, too. That's why I had so many piles of blocks to put together. I don't mind joining up to four blocks, it's when it gets beyond that I just get REALLY BORED.

I do love this quilt, though :)