Wednesday, February 18, 2009

where was I?

Look what I did! I bought this yarn in New Zealand in November and the sweater is done already! It's a yummy alpaca-merino wool blend in Rare Essentials Astrakhan and the pattern was super easy to do. This is the first sweater I've knit in about 35 years. I put all different pewter buttons on it, although I didn't do a good job of photographing them. (now I just need to learn to sew the seams more neatly, and block things...)

I've been sewing a little bit, too. This is a block for a monthly swap -- this month's request was for "circles". I had no clue, so I just started messing around with batiks, and added a little stitching, and then some beads... and it got mailed off today.
I also mailed off my 4 Seasons Quilt Swap -- monochromatic version -- but I won't show a photo yet.

And, there's been a little progress with those Amish houses I won a few months ago. They now have trees and a road, and I need to sew them all together and think about a border. I might need to rearrange a few blocks again. It won't be the first time!
Here's a picture of one of the visitors we had a few nights ago, in between rainstorms. There were several of them right outside the dining room's French doors, where I sew. Bucky was inside and didn't seem bothered by them at all. (if another cat wanders by the door, he goes ballistic, though)
And last but not least -- week 7 of the the Friday Block Party. This is called "Lucky Stars" and it was another doozy. (Kathleen, do you recognize the fabric from the EBHQ swap table?)
I'm leaving for Europe on Friday for a week. I decided to drag the laptop along this time, so I may have some photos to post along the way. I always get annoyed at the high prices for internet connections when I'm traveling -- but it's for work this time so I won't care so much.

14 comments:

Gina said...

I love the swap block. What a great use of circles.

The Amish village is starting to look really good.

Enjoy your trip
love and hugs Gina xxx

Helen Conway said...

Safe travel - I'll see you on Thursday.

Andrea said...

Lovely stuff. The Amish quilt will be brilliant - I never would have thought of adding trees and roads - inspired idea !

Libby Fife said...

The road in the Amish quilt is very inventive. Circles look great (why do I dream of donuts?)and theat last block looks like it might have hurt!

Have a good trip.
Thanks,
Libby

Libby Fife said...

sorry about that typo-I meant of course the last block!
Libby

Joyce said...

I really like what you've done with the circles. Lucky you to go to Europe. Where will you go? I really want to go back to Paris. Sigh.

Vicki W said...

Wow, you have been busy! The sweater is lovely and the Amish village looks great with the road and trees.

Quilt Pixie said...

"my lucky stars" turned out wonderfully! you are my quilting hero :-)

Kay said...

Congratulations on the sweater, and the other projects as well. I love the Amish houses particularly.

Elaine Adair said...

The road thru the Amish houses really turns a good guilt into a great quilt!

ANd that block with the wierd fabric - hey you used that odd fabric very well. 8-)

peggy said...

I LOVE how your Amish houses are set....also, love your sweater!
You have quite a selection of items pictured this post.

Have a safe trip

Peggy

AmyB said...

Happy dance of joy happening here :) I can't wait to get that gorgeous circle block in my hot little hands... lucky, lucky me. Thank you!

jovaliquilts said...

Wow, you've been busy. The color of that sweater is just to die for -- and it sounds like it feels as good as it looks. Just lovely. Have a wonderful trip! I hope you get a chance to have some fun and don't have to work the whole time.

katelnorth said...

The circle block looks great - I haven't started mine yet, though an idea is forming in my mind...

And I'll echo what Helen said - Safe travel - I'll see you on Thursday!