Saturday, February 21, 2009

my trip to Barcelona

no pictures and no quilting in this post -- just an update on my travels so far...
 
We left San Francisco right on time at about 8 p.m.  About 10 minutes after take-off came an announcement: "are there any medical doctors on this plane?"  and a few minutes later: "is there anyone who speaks Turkish on the plane?"  and that was followed by the announcement that someone was seriously ill and we had to go back. But -- you can't just go back and land a 747 with a full load of fuel, so first we had to fly around for nearly an hour and dump fuel; then we had to wait another hour while the paramedics did their job and the plane was refueled, and then the gyroscope had to be adjusted...  so we got back in the air 2-1/2 hours late.

The flight was great, except the part where I flip my footrest down and it hit the little tray with my full glass of wine and tipped it all into my lap. Thankfully that was only an hour or so into the flight so it had hours to dry... sort of. My jeans have the distinct odor of sauvignon blanc now, and I'm going to have to do something about it!

Of course by the time I got to London I had missed my connection, but British Air was very "proactive" about the whole thing and had already booked me on the next flight and made sure my luggage came along. Finally arrived in Barcelona around 9 and the tourist kiosk was closed so I decided to just catch a cab to the hotel in Sitges -- a little beach town about 30km south of Barcelona.  However, it's a town of narrow little streets and my cab driver (who spoke no English) was totally baffled about how to get to the hotel. After driving around and wasting about 20 euros and asking lots of people (all tourists) where the hotel was, he gave up and basically kicked me out of the cab. He was talking non-stop in Spanish but that didn't help much!  After first walking way too far in the wrong direction I finally made it to the right place.  Here I am, it's almost midnight local time, and the wireless is free! Things have to go more smoothly from here, right?

2 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

OMG -- things definitely have to get better from here!

Libby Fife said...

OK, but did you get more wine? That is all I need to know!